Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Illegal string offset in message dot php on line 33

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
Client is customising the Classifieds Reference site and has added Elementor. They see a PHP warning about an Illegal String Offset.

Solution:
The issue arises from our use of the Elementor API that requires PHP 7+. Updating the server to PHP 7 fixes the issue.

0% of people find this useful.

This support ticket is created 5 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by PZ 5 years, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author
CRED-illegal-string.jpg

I have installed the reference site "Classifieds site". I changed themes from "Astra" to a custom theme, and have not made any configurations to any settings and on the single listing page I see this error:

Warning: Illegal string offset 'form_id' in /home13/itandweb/public_html/yes2night.com/wp-content/plugins/cred-frontend-editor/application/models/shortcode/form/message.php on line 33

I have tried switching the theme back to "Astra" but the error still shows.

In the layout for Single-Ad I see the shortcode at the top of the layout

[cred-form-message]

with the label "CRED massaage" but I don't know what's missing. I have a demo site setup on

<em><u>hidden link</u></em>

but I cannot identify the difference between my actual site and the demo site.

All plugins are up to date and I have all Toolset plugins installed and activated. I have tried switching the theme back to the original "Astra" but the error is still there.

I do have Elementor installed and activated.

I could not find anything in the docs for the shortcode

[cred-form-message]

but I did find the CRED Shortcodes: https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/cred-shortcodes/ but that doesn't seem to offer any help for this issue.

Paul

I just did a fresh install of WordPress on another domain and setup the complete Classifieds website demo. Everything was fine until I installed the "Elementor" page builder. Once Elementor was activated the error "illegal string offset" error showed up. I have Elementor Pro but the error show's on the free version of Elementor.

I would like to use Elementor on the site so I will wait for a response about this issue. I hope it's something that can or will be updated soon to continue the compatibility with Elementor.

After a complete reinstall of WordPress, all Toolset plugins and Elementor I have found that Elementor is no longer compatible with Toolset. After a fresh install of WP and plugins I tried following the documentation for "Using Toolset with Elementor Page Builder" https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/using-toolset-with-elementor-page-builder/ but Elementor will not load when I click on Add New -> Template when trying to create a template for a single listing.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi Paul

There are a couple of issues we are working on regarding compatibility with Elementor (templates are a fairly new Elementor feature and there are some use cases cropping up that we need to handle), but it generally works fine, so I wouldn't expect you to have major problems on a fresh install.

When you say "when I click on Add New -> Template when trying to create a template for a single listing" you mean you are trying to create an Elementor template? If the page will not load you should see errors either in your browser console or your PHP logs. Could you share any errors you find with me?

Regarding the Classifieds reference site, I have a copy installed locally.

I installed Elementor on the site and visited a Listing page on the front end, but didn't see any errors.

Can you give me any more specific details about how to reproduce the error? It is odd to see an error about a CRED form on that page, because there is no CRED form on the page.

I am going to try another complete setup on a new install. I am going to activate Elementor + PRO. Do you recommend any particular order that I should install the plugins in? Previously I installed Elementor + Pro after installing the classifieds site.

I will do a complete new install and see what happens. I'll let you know what happens.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

No recommendation about the order you install plugins, no.

Go ahead and install the reference site, then add the Elementor plugins, and make a note of any specific actions you take so that I can try to follow the same steps to reproduce any error you encounter.

OK, I think I found the cause. My server's php version was using 5.4. I changed it to php version 7.0 and it's now working.

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

PZ

I use 7.2 PHP version, and when someone add ad (like this hidden link more here hidden link) in php error logs I see:

Warning: Illegal string offset 'form_id' in [...] public_html/wp-content/plugins/cred-frontend-editor/application/models/shortcode/form/message.php on line 33

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.