Skip Navigation

[Closed] I wish there were a detailed tutorial how to use Views WITHOUT Types…

The Toolset Community Forum is closed, for technical support questions, please head on to our Toolset Professional Support (for paid clients), with any pre-sale or admin question please contact us here.
This support ticket is created 10 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.
This is the community support forum for Types plugin, which is part of Toolset. Toolset is a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients and people who registered for Types community support can post in it.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Luo Yang 10 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Luo Yang.

Author

...for custom fields, that is. I think the time is ripe for an extensive tutorial that explains how to use Views to output fields created with Advanced Custom Fields, Piklist, etc. There are lots of bits and pieces of info about it floating around on this site if you really dig around, but nothing I've found that really puts it all together from beginning to end...that focuses solely on using custom fields NOT created with Types. And too many cases where the support offered in the forums simply DOES NOT WORK. What say you, OnTHeGo?

Hi Jacob,

There isn't such a existed detailed tutorial, I put it into our to-do list as a feature request, our developers will take care of it.
Views can works without Types, when you going to display the custom fields value please try shortcode [wpv-post-field]:
Output a custom field for the current post.

This displays the raw data from the field. Use the Types plugin the and the [types] shortcode to display formatted fields.
https://toolset.com/documentation/views-shortcodes/#vf-153444

Some plugin is using hidden custom fields, which slug is start with "_",
http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/add_post_meta#Hidden_Custom_Fields
You can goto your WP admin side, Views-> Settings
in section "Hidden custom fields", enable those custom fields, then the private custom fields are showing in the Views GUI.

Hi Luoy,

I have used [wpv-post-field] on several occasions and have also tried using the Custom Fields Control menu to bring them under Types control (not sure what difference that actually makes). I have read the docs you pointed to many times. Still I can't ever seem to get it to work right...I always think I'm missing something...seems like the documentation is somewhat fragmented and incomplete. That's why I think a well-written comprehensive tutorial on this topic would be really helpful.

Views shortcode [wpv-post-field] output the raw value of custom field, (I think it is what you need)
if you are going to manage those custom fields with Types, please try
Types "Custom Fields Control":
https://toolset.com/faq/how-do-i-convert-existing-custom-types-and-fields-to-types-control/

The topic ‘[Closed] I wish there were a detailed tutorial how to use Views WITHOUT Types…’ is closed to new replies.