Skip Navigation

[Resolved] I want to assign a child post from a dropdown list programatically in JS

This support ticket is created 3 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by igorL-3 3 years ago.

Assisted by: Minesh.

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do? I want to assign a child post programatically from a dropdown list. I have a following Relationship Form.

[cred-relationship-form-container]
<div class="form-group hidden">
<label>[cred_i18n name='child-label']Dog[/cred_i18n]</label>
[cred-relationship-role role='child']
</div>
<div class="form-group">
<label>[cred_i18n name='parent-label']Breeder[/cred_i18n]</label>
[cred-relationship-role role='parent']
</div>
[cred-form-feedback field='feedback' name='feedback']
[cred-form-submit field='submit' name='submit' class='breeder_submit']
[cred-form-cancel field='cancel' name='cancel']
[/cred-relationship-form-container]

The Specific Dog is passed on from a Post Form and is hidden. The DIV
<div class="form-group">
</div>

creates a dropdown list of Breeders (this is a many-to-many relationship as each dog may have more than one breeder assosiated and clearly a breeder may have more than one dog)

so now I want to pick the Breeder in JS. I have used:
document.querySelector('#toolset_select2-cred_association_dam-dog-dog_child-container').textContent="Breeder Name";

where "Breeder Name" is a value that does exist in the dropdown list. And the correct name does appear in the field after executing
.textContent="Breeder Name"; method.

But when I hit SUBMIT the message comes up saying that "This value is required". Picking a value manually by using the dropdown list works but not the .textContent method.

Is there any documentation that you are following? No

Is there a similar example that we can see? No

What is the link to your site? I cannot provide that because the side is only visible from my local computer as I'm developing the site locally

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

I'm not sure how exactly you are passing the parent ID.

Can you please share problem URL where I can see the post-relationship form and tell me how exactly you are passing the parent as well as admin access details.

*** Please make a FULL BACKUP of your database and website.***
I would also eventually need to request temporary access (WP-Admin) to your site. Preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible in order to be of better help and check if some configurations might need to be changed.

I have set the next reply to private which means only you and I have access to it.

Screenshot 2021-04-05 at 15.10.09.jpg

I’m passing the parent as per Type Template (see the attached screenshot). I’ve selected for "What should the form do?” "Connect a Person to a given Borzoi as a Breeder” and then for "Borzoi to add Person to” I selected "Use the current Borzoi” (Borzoi is the breed of Dog I was referring to to the initial question). The parent is passed on without a problem from a Post Form where I selected to display the post after submitting the Post Form

Unfortunately I’m unable to give you access to the site or page because this is a development site which is only visible on my computer. I haven’t uploaded it yet to a server.

Minesh
Supporter

Can you please share bit more details.

To what field you want to auto select (parent / child) ?

As you shared - the current post, does that mean that you already set the parent and you want to auto-select child post?

I want to select only child post in the following field:

<div class="form-group">
</div>

The parent field is passed from the Post Form and is hidden as:
<div class="form-group hidden">
<label>[cred_i18n name='child-label']Dog[/cred_i18n]</label>
[cred-relationship-role role='child']
</div>

i hide it with CSS as in .hidden {display:none}

Minesh
Supporter

Ok.

You said:
where "Breeder Name" is a value that does exist in the dropdown list. And the correct name does appear in the field after executing
.textContent="Breeder Name"; method.
==>
So, the "Breeder Name is the value available under child dropdown - correct? And you want to automatically select the optoin "Breeder Name" by default automatically using JS - right?

>So, the "Breeder Name is the value available under child dropdown - correct?
Yes that's correct

>And you want to automatically select the optoin "Breeder Name" by default automatically using JS - right?
Well maybe not by default as I want to have a function I can call that would set the "Breeder Name" ie allow me to link a
the Dog Post with a Breeder post (it's a many-to-many relationship) but if I know how to set by default that may be enough.
But document.querySelector('#toolset_select2-cred_association_dam-dog-dog_child-container').textContent="Breeder Name";
didn't work

Minesh
Supporter

Can you please try to add the following code to your post relationship form's JS editor.

jQuery(document).ready(function($){

var $option = $("<option selected></option>").val('9999').text("Breeder Name");

$('#cred_association_dam-dog-dog_child').append($option).trigger('change');

});

Wheree:
- Please replace 9999 with your "Breeder Name" original post ID.

Thanks this is great. But it has disabled the submission button. What I mean is that it won't save when I click the submit button but if I pick manually from the dropdown list it does save

PS also it doesn't take the post according to the id but just takes the first entry from the list of the dropdown list

Sorry!! It was my mistake. I had the JS in two palces and it was overwriting it. It´s working now.

One more related question. If a user selects a post from a dropdown how can I get the ID and Post Title into the above JS.
The [wpv-post-id] and [wpv-post-title] get these but I´m not sure how to pass it to the JQuery

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.