Skip Navigation

[Resolved] i need some assistance finding the best practices for some parts of the site

This support ticket is created 6 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Author
Untitled-1.jpg

Hi there,
I am developing a new site baste on wp-type & sahifa theme. i need some assistance finding the best practices for some parts of the site, mainly the Therapists Index.

So, what do we need? 🙂
Users & Permissions:
(See attached image)

Front end views:
1. "Main index page" - list of therapists cards & parametric search
2. "index card page"/"therapists extended author page" – all data of the therapists + list of posts / events / products by that user.+ some reach media like a gallery, video embed, + contact form
3. Basic "author" page for teachers

Questions:
1. Should I use user as the base for the index or a custom post type?
a. if I go for the user entity and add custom fields to the user, how can I customize the basic "author" page and include a wide range of content over there (custom fields, gallery, video, post list….)? as far as I know I cannot create a parametric search on a users list? (and its only one Type of users)
b. on the other hand, if I create a post type for "Therapists" so I can run a parametric search on it (in addition to the user I need for permissions) – how can I connect the "author" link to the therapists card page in the index (301???)? how can I loop all content by the same therapists to a list? What do I do with the teachers that contribute content but do not have an entity in the index?
c. Is there another option I didn’t think about? Should it include an integration of Bothe?

2. Is it possible to give content contributors a simple ui for updating posts & profile data? (never tried that with types)

3. How should I build the rules in the wp-access plugin?

4. How can I re-write the card page url to be hidden link?
(or is that something that is out of your area of responsibility?)

Thanks,
Nimrod Wald

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

First of all - it looks like you are looking to build a membership site. We offer the detailed tutorial that will help you to build a membership site.
=> https://toolset.com/learn/create-membership-site-wordpress-using-toolset-plugins/

What I recommend is to use our test platform discover-wp.com using which you can create the number of test site as you desired and play with it.
=> https://toolset.com/faq/how-and-why-to-create-a-test-site-in-discover-wp/

You should use our readily available reference sites and play with it to know more about toolset:
=> http://discover-wp.com/site-templates/

You should play with test sites and by following tutorials and check the feasibility of your requirements and make sure whats you can do with Toolset.

Questions:
1. Should I use user as the base for the index or a custom post type?
=> Better us CPT

a. if I go for the user entity and add custom fields to the user, how can I customize the basic "author" page and include a wide range of content over there (custom fields, gallery, video, post list….)? as far as I know I cannot create a parametric search on a users list? (and its only one Type of users)
=> Correct - you can not create parametric search for users

b. on the other hand, if I create a post type for "Therapists" so I can run a parametric search on it (in addition to the user I need for permissions) – how can I connect the "author" link to the therapists card page in the index (301???)? how can I loop all content by the same therapists to a list? What do I do with the teachers that contribute content but do not have an entity in the index?
=> You can try to control it using [wpv-conditional] shortcode inside the view's loop output or use Toolset plugin ACCESS - you should check first
'
c. Is there another option I didn’t think about? Should it include an integration of Bothe?
=> No

2. Is it possible to give content contributors a simple ui for updating posts & profile data? (never tried that with types)
=> Yes - you can build custom profiles pages using Types. we have a great tutorial for editing CRED user forms:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/cred-training-course/part-8-building-forms-for-editing-user-profile/

3. How should I build the rules in the wp-access plugin?
=> Please check ACCESS Docs:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/#access

4. How can I re-write the card page url to be hidden link?
(or is that something that is out of your area of responsibility?)
=> You may try to check with the additional plugin available.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.