Skip Navigation

[Resolved] I need featured image with link field, only have POST TITLE WITH LINK available

This support ticket is created 3 years, 7 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 37 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 3 years, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

Hi Christian

Thanks for your help a few days ago making the featured image active, I'm sorry but could you possibly make the whole cell a clickable link?
Is this easy to do or would you need to access my account again to get this done?

Dan

I don't think there's an easy way to do this in the Block Editor using the visual design blocks, but let me verify that with another team member. The only way I know of is to use a big Classic Editor block that includes the entire contents of the cell using shortcodes, wrapped in an HTML link tag, resulting in markup like I showed in the first code snippet here: https://toolset.com/forums/topic/i-need-featured-image-with-link-field-only-have-post-title-with-link-available/#post-1772653

I'll check and let you know.

I have confirmed with another team member that the best way to achieve this in the current software is to use a classic editor block with a combination of HTML elements and shortcodes to create a single link tag wrapped around the full contents. There is a pending feature request with our developers to make an entire container block link to another page or URL, but I don't have a schedule for delivery of that new feature. In the meantime, a shortcode-based approach is required. If you'd like, you can set up the design in the block editor just like you want to display everything, then I can help you convert that to an HTML link with Toolset shortcodes for the dynamic content. Let me know once you have the visual design complete and I can help you finish it up with shortcodes.

IMG_9236.jpg

Thanks for your response Christian.
Would it be easier to just add a shortcode to the last feature of the cell that doesn't have a link, and that's the 'Post Excerpt'.
Is there a code I can use for this within the cell already?

It looks like you are using a Single Field block to display the post excerpt. There is no built-in way to add another shortcode to a Single Field block, so you would have to replace the Single Field block with a Fields and Text block. Display the post excerpt in the Fields and Text block, then also insert a link to the post in the Fields and Text block.

It might be easier, but it does not achieve everything you want. It does not allow you to add a link to the featured image, and it does not add a link to the post title. If that is acceptable, it could be easier than converting the entire grid cell to HTML / shortcodes.

ok Christian thank you.

I do need the whole cell to be a clickable, surely this is something that needs to happen when a search appears
the user has to be able to click anywhere in the Boxcell and be linked to its origin page.

It's weird that there isn't an easy way to do this.

Would you mind going into my site and making this happen?

I can do it with shortcodes. I'll need you to add login credentials again, since they were removed when you resolved the ticket earlier. Please add login credentials here and I will set up the necessary shortcodes.

If I set up the full clickable cell with shortcodes, the Block Editor's design tools will not be available for styling each individual element. CSS is required to style those elements. Let me know if that is acceptable, and I will proceed. Otherwise, our developers have not yet finished the feature where the an entire container block is clickable, so that feature is not available in the Block Editor.

will you be able to assist me with the styling afterwards?

I basically want it as you see it now, or near about's

I don't think I can get things pixel perfect like the Block Editor, but I can show you how to apply any of your own custom CSS styles using the CSS editor. If you want the design precision of the Block editor, the best option available is to make each individual element clickable as I described before. If you prefer to write your own custom CSS styles, I can show you how to do that. Custom CSS programming is not in the scope of support we offer here.

Ok please go into the site and adjust

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 3.44.54 PM.png

I'm having some trouble because I'm not able to see the Block Editor to edit this View any longer. It seems to be replaced in an Elementor page design. I don't want to break something you've already done...Should I click "Return to WordPress Editor" in the page editor, or will this break other things you've done with Elementor? I'm a bit confused because the blocks shortcodes are written out in the Elementor design interface. Normally I would expect to see the Block Editor when I edit a page where a View was built using the Block Editor. See the screenshot here, and please let me know how I should continue.

I havent used Elementor for this page, so it shouldnt be using that structure.

Nothing has changed since you last went into my site.

hidden link

Not sure what happened, but I will try to choose one of the recent revisions of this page to revert to a previous state. For example, see here: hidden link

Please stand by and I will give you a quick update.

This one seems to be working in the Block Editor, I'll continue from here: hidden link

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.