Skip Navigation

[Resolved] I cannot add a custom image field to a Post type template – The key is blank

This support ticket is created 3 years, 5 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by barryG-4 3 years, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do? Add a toolset custom field to an Elementor template for a toolset custom post type

Is there any documentation that you are following? No.

Is there a similar example that we can see? Yes but I don't want the link to be visible to the public. Can I send you the link privately?

What is the link to your site? hidden link but you won't be able to view anything until I can explain how to as the site needs to be very private.

In Elementor/Templates/Theme Builder I have created a template called Photo Album Template and have assigned it to a Toolset Custom Post Type called Photo Albums. I edited the template to show 2 custom fields in a group called Photo Album Field Group. There are only 2 fields, one being Photo Album Date and the other an image with multiple instances called Photo Album Images.

I edited the Elementor template and added the custom field for Photo Album Date by choosing a Heading option in Elementor then by choosing the dynamic option and navigating to Toolset Date Field (Photo Album Date). I tried doing this with the Photo Album Images custom field after adding an Elementor Image element but after selecting the dynamic option the key is blank and I cannot do what I did with the date field.

Can you tell me what I can do to correctly add this custom field to the template please.

I have screenshots and am very happy to give you admin access but I just don't want to share anything until I know the content will be private. Many thanks, Barry.

I've tried adding the following in an Elementor shortcode element [types field='photo-album-images'] and this does display the images but only in a very plain way. I know that using the Elementor image element and applying the photo-album-images custom to it dynamically will result in a set of neatly displayed rows of image thumbnails that click through to a carousel of larger images. I've actually had this working 2 days ago in a different custom post type but for whatever reason it stopped working hence deleting all the work and starting again (with differently named post types, field groups and custom fields). Any help you can gibe would be gratefully appreciated. Many thanks, Barry.

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Barry,

Thank you for getting in touch.

Is this a repeatable field ? I'm not sure if Elementor's dynamic field option can display our repeatable field images.

Does the same issue occur when using a single image field ? Perhaps you can run a quick test by creating a non repeatable image field so that it only has 1 instance.

Then try to use elementor to display that image. We need to identify what works and what doesn't so we know exactly how to approach the issue.

Thanks,
Shane

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.