Skip Navigation

[Resolved] How use a shortcode instead of options for CRED forms?

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
How to display clean text raw output with views.

Solution:
Since Views 1.11 we have had to wrap Views loop outputs in default HTML and CSS/JS in order to support things like infinite scrolling, and future to come features like "Front End Sorting and Ordering".

To return a "clean" Loop output is using the filter 'wpv_filter_wpv_view_shortcode_output' to your current theme's functions.php file.

You can find proposed solution with the following reply.
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/how-use-a-shortcode-instead-of-options-for-cred-forms/#post-419301

Relevant Documentation:

This support ticket is created 6 years, 4 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 1.92 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by spiridonR 6 years, 4 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Minesh.

Author

Hello!

I want to create a CRED form with the use of Field type "Select". I want to use Views shortcode to dynamically populate the options in this field. Here is a description of this function:

"When options for a generic field need to be generated dynamically, a shortcode can be used to generate the field options on the fly. Using a View shortcode to generate options based on criteria is a usual case. Any shortcode which will generate a valid JSON format of options can be used."

I created a view, which generates the appropriate values:

{"value":"12","label":"POST Test 3"}, 
{"value":"10","label":"POST Test 2"}, 
{"value":"8","label":"POST Test 1"}, 
{"value":"demo","label":"demo"} ]

I put the shortcode in the options:

[cred_generic_field field='test2' type='select' class='' urlparam='']
{
"required":0,
"validate_format":0,
"default":[],
"options":[ [wpv-view name="views-test-1"] ]
}
[/cred_generic_field]

However, if I insert shortcode as an option, the generic field is not displayed in the form. You can help with the configuration form? I will provide data access to the demo site.

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

To return a "clean" Loop output is using the filter 'wpv_filter_wpv_view_shortcode_output' to your current theme's functions.php file.

add_filter( 'wpv_filter_wpv_view_shortcode_output', 'prefix_clean_view_output', 5, 2 );

function prefix_clean_view_output( $out, $id ) {
    if ( $id == '9999' ) { //Please adjust to your Views ID
        $start = strpos( $out, '<!-- wpv-loop-start -->' );
        if ( 
            $start !== false
            && strrpos( $out, '<!-- wpv-loop-end -->', $start ) !== false
        ) {
            $start = $start + strlen( '<!-- wpv-loop-start -->' );
            $out = substr( $out , $start );
            $end = strrpos( $out, '<!-- wpv-loop-end -->' );
            $out = substr( $out, 0, $end );
        }
    }
    return $out;
}

Where:
Replace '9999' with your original view ID.

I hope above solution will help you to resolve your issue.

cred.PNG

No, it does not help. Besides, as I understand it, this function should work without any changes to the code.

Minesh
Supporter

I need to check on your install why its not working. It should work.

1)
Could you please share problem URL.

2)

*** Please make a FULL BACKUP of your database and website.***
I would also eventually need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to your site. Preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible in order to be of better help and check if some configurations might need to be changed.

I would additionally need your permission to de- and re-activate Plugins and the Theme, and to change configurations on the site. This is also a reason the backup is really important. If you agree to this, please use the form fields I have enabled below to provide temporary access details (wp-admin and FTP).

I have set the next reply to private which means only you and I have access to it.

Minesh
Supporter

I checked and view's output is wrapped with additional required divs. To have raw text output just like json as I suggested you should add following code to your current theme's functions.php file.

add_filter( 'wpv_filter_wpv_view_shortcode_output', 'prefix_clean_view_output', 5, 2 );

function prefix_clean_view_output( $out, $id ) {
    if ( $id == '6' ) { //Please adjust to your Views ID
        $start = strpos( $out, '<!-- wpv-loop-start -->' );
        if ( 
            $start !== false
            && strrpos( $out, '<!-- wpv-loop-end -->', $start ) !== false
        ) {
            $start = $start + strlen( '<!-- wpv-loop-start -->' );
            $out = substr( $out , $start );
            $end = strrpos( $out, '<!-- wpv-loop-end -->' );
            $out = substr( $out, 0, $end );
        }
    }
    return $out;
}

Where '6' is your original view ID.

I hope once you add above code to functions.php file, your issue will be resolved.

I did it again and it does not help. I can provide you with access via FTP.

Minesh
Supporter

Sure. Please share FTP access.

I have set the next reply to private which means only you and I have access to it.

Minesh
Supporter

Could you please check now.

I've adjusted your view code. There was an issue with the extra comma with the last item.

{"value":"12","label":"POST Test 3"} ,{"value":"10","label":"POST Test 2"} ,{"value":"8","label":"POST Test 1"}, -- this last comma was issue

So, I've adjusted your view code as:

<wpv-loop>
      [wpv-item index=1]
		{"value":"[wpv-post-id]","label":"[wpv-post-title]"}
      [wpv-item index=other]
      ,{"value":"[wpv-post-id]","label":"[wpv-post-title]"}
</wpv-loop>

This code will output.

{"value":"12","label":"POST Test 3"} ,{"value":"10","label":"POST Test 2"} ,{"value":"8","label":"POST Test 1"}  - without last comma

I hope this solution will help you to resolve your issue. Have a great day!!

Thank you, it works! However, it is possible to do without adding code to the file function.php? Alternatively, specify the slug of view, but not ID.

Minesh
Supporter

As I explain to you in my previous reply, you need to add that code in order to get raw/text output.

No - you need to compare with ID, there is not option available to compare with view's slug.

Minesh
Supporter

I hope your original issue is resolved. If so, could you please kindly mark resolve this ticket.

Yes, thank you!

Hi.
It would be great if you could implement the add_filter solution for raw output as a simple variable in the view shortcode. ex.

[wpv-view name="views-test-1" raw="true"]

I see a lot of people (including me) searching the solution for the same thing, again and again.