Skip Navigation

[Resolved] How to show next / previous child post?

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I have a parent post type "Parent" with child post type "Child". Each child belongs to a single parent, and parents can have multiple children. On a single child page, I want to link to the next and previous children (sibling posts in order by post date) of the same parent using "NEXT" and "PREV" links. How can I accomplish this?

Solution: Use some custom shortcodes to create your Next and Previous buttons.

// replace "parent" and "child" with your post type slugs
add_shortcode('wpv-child-prev', 'wpv_child_prev');
add_shortcode('wpv-child-next', 'wpv_child_next');
function wpv_child_prev() {
    return wpv_child(-1, 'PREV');
}
function wpv_child_next() { 
    return wpv_child(1, 'NEXT'); 
}
function wpv_child($step, $label) {
    global $post;
    $parent = get_post_meta($post->ID, '_wpcf_belongs_parent_id', true);
    $children = get_posts(array('post_type' => 'child', 'meta_key' => '_wpcf_belongs_parent_id', 'meta_value' => $parent, 'numberposts' => -1));
    foreach ($children as $i => $child) {
        if ($child->ID == $post->ID) break;
    }
    $i += $step;
    if (isset($children[$i])) return '<a href="' . get_permalink($children[$i]) . '">' . $label . '</a>';
}

Relevant Documentation: https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/displaying-fields-of-parent-pages/

This support ticket is created 7 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 7 years ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

Hi.

I have a parent post type called SHOWS. I have a child post type called EPISODES.

Each show can have dozens of episodes.

Can you tell me how I can create a link to show the NEXT (or PREVIOUS) episode relative to the current one being viewed. The episodes (child posts) are ordered based on post-date.

Example. If I am viewing a specific episode (eg. episode #12). I want to have a link to show the NEXT (i.e. #13) or PREVIOUS (i.e. #11) episode.

Can you help?

Hi, it's possible to do this with a custom shortcode. Assuming your post type slugs are "shows" and "episodes":

add_shortcode('wpv-child-prev', 'wpv_child_prev');
add_shortcode('wpv-child-next', 'wpv_child_next');
function wpv_child_prev() {
    return wpv_child(-1, 'PREV');
}
function wpv_child_next() { 
    return wpv_child(1, 'NEXT'); 
}
function wpv_child($step, $label) {
    global $post;
    $show = get_post_meta($post->ID, '_wpcf_belongs_shows_id', true);
    $episodes = get_posts(array('post_type' => 'episodes', 'meta_key' => '_wpcf_belongs_shows_id', 'meta_value' => $show, 'numberposts' => -1));
    foreach ($episodes as $i => $episode) {
        if ($episode->ID == $post->ID) break;
    }
    $i += $step;
    if (isset($episodes[$i])) return '<a href="' . get_permalink($episodes[$i]) . '">' . $label . '</a>';
}

Edit - fixed typos!

Hello Christian Cox

Thanks for the help.

I think you forgot to change the variable name in the foreach loop

foreach ($works as $i => $work) {
        if ($work->ID == $post->ID) break;
    }
    $i += $step;
    if (isset($works[$i])) return '<a href="' . get_permalink($works[$i]) . '">' . $label . '</a>';
    }

replacing $works with $episode .
I managed to figure it out and now it is working fine. So i have marked this as resolved.

Ah yes, copy and paste error on my part. Glad you got this sorted out.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.