Skip Navigation

[Resolved] How to search a specific population

This support ticket is created 6 years, 3 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by johnG-13 6 years, 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Shane.

Author

Nothing's wrong yet, but I'm stumped as to how to set up my database.

I have created a single post type for this database.

I will have two populations using this post type:
1- users of a service
2- providers of the service.

I want users to be able to search providers and providers to be able to search users. But I'm not sure how to accomplish that. Separate categories in this post type? Two post fields (users & providers).

Thanks for any suggestions!

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi John,

Thank you for contacting our support forum.

When you say two populations, you are referring to the personnels who will be doing the search correct?

Meaning one set is are regular users and the other is the service provider who can search for users ?

Please let me know as i'm a bit confused about the use case.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane:

Yes, there is a population of users who are looking for providers with certain qualifications.

And at the same time, the providers will want to search for users who are seeking those qualifications.

So a user might want a provider who has:
Color: Red
Car: SUV
Transmission: Standard

And the provider is looking for users seeking those qualifications.

I think I may have resolved it (although I'm open to other/better ideas): I created a radio set for user/provider. In the submission form, they must select one or the other.

On the search side, I used the same field, but I gave it a different title, asking the searcher to select what they were looking for (user or provider).

It seems to work OK, but if there's a more elegant way to accomplish this, I'm all ears.

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi John,

I was about to suggest using the custom fields to setup the data but it seems that you have already done this.

I'm not able to think of a more suitable way to do this with just toolset.

Thanks,
Shane

Great -- that solution seems to work fine for me. Thanks!