Skip Navigation

[Resolved] How to remove default sidebar which is showup

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

The issue here is that the user has his CPT but his theme is rendering the sidebar on his CPT.

Solution:
Normally some theme would include a way to disable this on custom post types.

If your theme does not support this then I would recommend copying your single.php file and rename it to single-{cpt_slug}.php in order to allow that file to be used for your cpt and then remove the sidebar(); function from the code.

This support ticket is created 6 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by nickT-2 6 years ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author
overlapping-sidebar.jpg

Hi,

I've created a new post type and for some reason a sidebar, probably the default sidebar (if there is one), is showing up and is overlapping the content. Screenshot attached.

I've tried looking for sidebar settings on the Custom Post Types but can't find anything. I don't seem to recall having this issue on my other custom post types.

Please can I check ... are there settings or maybe new settings I've missed for controlling what sidebars are showing on custom post types. I've double checked and it's definitely not coming from the content I have in the content template I'm using to control the post types layout & content.

Thanks

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Nick,

Thank you for contacting our support forum.

Would you mind providing me with access to the site as well as an example page with the issue ?

Thanks,
Shane

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Nick,

Thank you for the credentials.

I though this would've been a case where there was a sidebar() function but this theme seems to be using something different to load the sidebars.

What I recommend is to get in touch with the theme author as they should be able to better assist than I can here.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi,

What you said sounds familiar so I looked back in my past support tickets and I found the solution. It's been a while since I created a new post type.

I have to create a new template file called single-(post-type-title).php and insert into my child theme ... so all sorted.

Thanks for your rapid help!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.