Skip Navigation

[Resolved] How to Implement TVC's Classifieds Demo in another Theme

This support ticket is created 8 years, 4 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Beda 8 years, 4 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

Hi. A few months ago, i used TVC's Classifieds Demo as a base for a project. Back then, the theme was called 'Toolset Classifieds'. Now, it appears that this has been replaced by the 'Toolset Starter' theme.

#1 If a site was previously built using Toolset-Classifieds (which is now deprecated), is it okay to leave it untouched, or are there security or other risks since the theme isn't being updated anymore. Also, will it be compatible with recent/future WordPress updates?

#2 Or is it necessary to change the theme to the new 'Toolset Starter'? If so, is the transition very straight forward or are there specific issues to look out for.

#3 What is the best way to adapt/use TVC's Classifieds Demo with another theme (ie Genesis)? When i looked through the 'Toolset Classieds' theme before, it was built using TVC plugins which theoretically should be replicable in most other themes. The only unique files (i think) were a few custom PHP classes. I'm not sure if these (or any other custom files) are required for the 'Toolset Starter' theme.

Please could you share some guidelines on what's necessary to implement or recreate the Classifieds Demo using another theme. Thanks.

Thank you for contacting us here in the Support Forum

Can you quickly send me a screenshot of your active Themes in Dashboard > Appearance > Theme?
Please capture the entire screen.

I think you use a Child theme (Toolset Classifieds) and the parent theme is Toolset Bootstrap
You can update that parent, you do not need to install the Starter Theme.

Transition to Starter Theme would mean change a lot of things in your Theme and code.

Our Example (Framework) sites are intended to be "boilerplates" for entire Themes.

So if you want to implement certain functionality into Genesis you will need to rebuild things with Genesis theme and also take advantage of our new Layouts : Genesis integration plugin:
https://toolset.com/account/downloads/ > bottom of page

Please let me know if you have further questions regarding the issue mentioned in this Thread

Thank you for your patience.

Hi Beda,

Can you quickly send me a screenshot of your active Themes in Dashboard > Appearance > Theme?
Please capture the entire screen.

I think you use a Child theme (Toolset Classifieds) and the parent theme is Toolset Bootstrap
You can update that parent, you do not need to install the Starter Theme.

>> Yes, you're right about Toolst Classifieds being a child of Toolset Bootstrap. I was working on test sites before that never made it live. The reason why i'm asking is because i'm wondering about the implications if I actually did go live with a client site using a TVC theme that is no longer updated/supported.

>> Does this mean that Toolset Bootstrap is still actively updated/supported for users who had adopted Toolset Classifieds as a child theme for their projects previously?

Our Example (Framework) sites are intended to be "boilerplates" for entire Themes.

>> Can you explain a bit more about this. With reference to Toolset Boostrap (theme) and Toolset Classifieds (child) - if we had used the boilerplate to create a more fully developed child theme, we'd still be dependent on the main parent theme right? What's the point you're trying to share?

So if you want to implement certain functionality into Genesis you will need to rebuild things with Genesis theme and also take advantage of our new Layouts : Genesis integration plugin:

>> I'm trying to avoid the Layouts plugin if possible. Is that plugin for Genesis only applicable if I'm interested in using Layouts? Or is it necessary/useful for non-Layouts related Genesis integrations too?

>> Is it possible to use the 'Toolset Classifieds plugin' together with any of the other plugins that are required for the Classifieds Demo (ie Cred commerce etc) in another theme (ie Genesis) - ref https://toolset.com/forums/topic/how-to-implement-tvcs-classifieds-demo-in-another-theme/

>> You provided a generic "you will need to rebuild things with Genesis theme" response. Can you offer a little more insight into #3, especially regarding the custom PHP classes that were in the Toolset Classifieds (or possible Toolset Bootstrap) theme? Or have these been updated into the 'Toolset Classifieds plugin' now?

Thanks for your help.

Toolset Bootstrap is still supported and if you notice updates for it, you should install them

It was the other Theme "Layouts demo for Bootstrap 3" that was deprecated.

With a Child theme you are theoretically always dependent from the parent theme.

Otherwise you have a Full Theme with all files in it and then you do not need a Child theme and Parent Theme.

Child themes are used in WordPress to customize a certain theme that comes with given features and code.

If you do not want to rely on Updates and Parent Themes, you can develop a unique theme, with your full Custom features and code.

Genesis basically works (as any other theme) with toolset out of the Box.
Layouts :: Genesis is the first of a long list of Integration plugins for Layouts (only) to other, widely and commonly used Themes.
It makes it much easier to integrate and use Layouts and this steps are (with the integration plugin) "obsolete":
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/layouts-theme-integration/

If you don't want to use Layouts, you don't need this integration Plugin.

Regarding classes and functionally of the specific theme/Plugin, yes, this is now all stored in the Plugin.
(Toolset Classifieds plugin)

==> the functions inside our 'Toolset classifieds' plugin are theme independent and work with other themes.
A recommended workflow would be something like :
1. install classifieds site via Framework installer
2. deactivate Framework installer
3. check if all functionalities of classifieds are working
4. start customizing the site by switching to another theme, styling etc..
4. test...

Please do not hesitate to open a new thread if other issues or problems arise

Thank you for your patience.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.