Skip Navigation

[Resolved] How to display parent's custom fields in Child custom post's admin view?

This support ticket is created 7 years, 3 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by gaborG 7 years, 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Shane.

Author
Song parameter display.jpg

Hi,
I am trying to set up a database for a music publisher.
We'll use artists, albums and songs which will be custom post types created with Types.
I would like to make it work in the following way:
I add new artists.
I add new albums.
To each album I can add as many songs as I want. Each song has a number of different parameters.
To each new album I pick from a dropdown who is the artist.
Then... I want that the songs display in their WP admin view which album they belong to, and who is their artist. But when I go into the Post Types / Songs, I can only check whether to display the song's parameters, not those of its parents.
I could manage to connect the albums and artists and songs so that if I create one, it appears at the other as well. But the parameters don't get passed through.
How can I solve this?
Thanks.

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Screen Shot 2015-08-27 at 4.40.07 PM.png

Hi Gabor,

Thanks for contacting our support forum.

Which parameters are you referring to not being passed down to the children, are you referring to the parent information ? and have that being displayed on the admin page?

Or are you referring to custom field values that you have created.
If so then you will need to check the custom field group and ensure that the group is set to display on that custom post as well. See Screenshot

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks

Hi Shane, thanks for the reply. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

What you suggested is a solution for this problem but it creates another problem.
If I display the album data on the songs the way you showed, then every time I create a song I have to give in all the album data manually as well. It's 10x as much work for a 10-song album as it should be. 🙂
Do you have an option how to avoid this? I can let you in the admin to check out what I messed up if you want. Thanks.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Gabor,

Unfortunately there isn't a simpler solution for this that I can think of.

Seeing that Types does not allow for this field to be used on the admin page then we wont be able to add this field there.

I'm not sure if there is a hook that allows for this but what I can do for you is to escalate your ticket to see if a higher level of support is able to assist with this.

Thanks

Thank you Shane. Looking forward to see if someone has a solution for this.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Gabor,

Our developers have mentioned that this will be included in our Types version 1.9 .

I am not sure when this will be released to the public but it is definitely something that is in development.

If there are no further queries on this then we can mark this as resolved.

Thanks you.

Cool, thanks! 🙂