Skip Navigation

[Resolved] How to Delete Related Post

This support ticket is created 4 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 15 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Nigel 3 years, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

Hi,

I am having a similar issue. For the security of my website I am very hesitant to provide the "manage_options" capability to users. I need to have a delete button directly in the post, so using an edit link is not really an option. Is there an alternative solution available?

Thanks!

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

Can I clarify what you are aiming to do?

You are talking about the backend or the frontend?

If the frontend, you are using the delete post link that you can insert with the Toolset Forms button?

Are you using Access?

What roles should be able to delete the related posts? Are those posts authored by the same user, or by someone else?

Hi,

I am using the cred-delete-relationship shortcode. My goal is to allow users to delete a relationship with the click of a button from the frontend.

Deleting a relationship works for admin users, but for custom roles with no backend access the button does not work. I am using Access.

The related posts could be authored by both the same user or another user.

Nigel
Supporter

OK, so the objective is to remove the connection, not to delete the related post.

You say "I need to have a delete button directly in the post", so presumably in the template for one side of the relationship you have a View which lists related posts, and it is here that there should be the button to disconnect the posts with the cred-delete-relationship shortcode.

I'm checking with the developers about what minimum permissions are required for that shortcode to work, and I'll get back to you.

Nigel
Supporter

Right now the manage_options permission is hard-coded, so there isn't any workaround I can offer to do something different.

I have discussed with the developers, however, who agree this is a problem and who will change this, so I've escalated this thread and attached it to the internal ticket. I don't know how long it will take until I have a solution for you, but I will let you know when I have news.

Great, thanks a lot for your help so far!

I am also looking for a solution to this issue. Has there been any change in the status?

Nigel
Supporter

I don't have an update, I'm afraid.

I checked the internal ticket and it isn't added to a particular development sprint, I've asked for it to be looked at to determine when it can be worked on.

Ok thank you for replying Nigel!

Hi there,

Is there any update? We are about to launch our live Toolset-built product and this is pretty much the only issue left. It's not the end of the world but would be great to see a fix. Thanks a lot!

Kind regards,
Joost

Nigel
Supporter

Sorry, I still don't have an update. I can see the developers discussed what was required to resolve this, but haven't implemented that yet. I've added a comment to the internal ticket reminding them you are waiting on a solution.

Nigel
Supporter

The developers have provided a patch, details in the erratum for this issue: https://toolset.com/errata/non-administrator-users-cannot-disconnect-related-posts-using-the-delete-relationship-links/

The fix won't make it into the next Forms release, so you may need to re-apply the patch afterwards.

Nigel
Supporter

FYI the fix has been tested and included in Forms, so it will be available in the next plugin update (after the current 2.6).

I'll prompt you when that's out.

Nigel
Supporter

Just reviewing my escalated threads as we published updates to several plugins today, and I see that the fix for this issue would have already been available.

In any case, if you notice any problems after updated, let me know.

If you don't see the update in your plugins page from the custom Toolset installer page click the Check for Updates button. It is also available on the downloads page at toolset.com/account/downloads.

Hi there,

After updating I've noticed that the delete links are not showing up entirely for non-administrator users. Is there any particular permission that needs to be set in Access in order for this to work? I haven't been able to find it.

Thanks!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.