Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Conditionally display content in Content Template custom HTML block if custom field is empty

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I have created a Content Template for a custom post type. I am displaying some content inside a custom HTML block. Inside that block, I would like to conditionally display some content if a specific custom field is not empty.

Solution: You can use the wpv-conditional shortcode inside a custom HTML block to add conditional logic for displaying or hiding portions of the content. For example:

[wpv-conditional if="($(wpcf-consignee-company-name) ne '' )"]
  <span class="invoice-to-label">Company: [types field='consignee-company-name'][/types]</span><br>    
[/wpv-conditional]

Relevant Documentation:
https://toolset.com/documentation/programmer-reference/views/views-shortcodes/#wpv-conditional
https://toolset.com/documentation/programmer-reference/views/views-shortcodes/#wpv-for-each

This support ticket is created 2 years, 9 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 1.88 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Author

I am using the Gutenberg Editor to create a content template for a post type.

I want to apply some conditional logic to ONLY show some html code IF a specific custom field is NOT empty.
However, Gutenberg doesn't seem to allow conditional logic in html blocks.

So it seems like the only way to accomplish what I want is to put all the HTML into a View then use some "Views Conditional Logic" to hide a particular HTML output in the template if that custom field is empty.

However when I insert the View into the content template it returns the custom fields for ALL posts of that type.
I only want it to return the custom field values for the CURRENT post.

I assume that what I need to employ here are Query filters?

But I can't find anything that allows me to say "only include results for the current Post ID".

Any suggestions?

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

You don't need to add a View.

You should be able to add a Conditional block and set your condition, and then add your HTML block within the Conditional block (which acts as a container that will display/hide everything inside subject to the conditions).

See https://toolset.com/course-lesson/using-toolset-conditional-block/

Thanks. That's interesting to know.
But I don't think that "Conditional Container Blocks" are really the best solution here.

The code I need to output in the Content Template looks like this:

<div class="invoice-to-container">
  <h4>Invoice To:</h4>
<span class="invoice-to-label">Company: [types field='consignee-company-name'][/types]</span><br>
<span class="invoice-to-label">Name: [types field='consignee-first-name'][/types] [types field='consignee-last-name'][/types]</span><br>
<span class="invoice-to-label">Address:[types field='consignee-address'][/types]</span><br>
<span class="invoice-to-label">Country: [types field='consignee-country'][/types]</span><br>
<span class="invoice-to-label">Telephone No.: [types field='consignee-telephone'][/types]</span><br>
<span class="invoice-to-label">Email: [types field='consignee-email' output='raw'][/types]</span><br>
</div>

Now in some cases a "consignee company name" exists, but in some cases it does not.
So I just want to exclude the "consignee company name "span" is the custom field is empty.

I don't really to break a single span into it's only Conditional Container Block.
Which is why my initial thought was to do it with a view and wrap the span in conditional tags.

1-custom-html-block.png
2-post-editor-field-value.png
3-post-editor-no-value.png
4-front-end-field-value.png
5-front-end-no-value.png

However, Gutenberg doesn't seem to allow conditional logic in html blocks....I don't really to break a single span into it's only Conditional Container Block. Which is why my initial thought was to do it with a view and wrap the span in conditional tags.
Hello, it is possible to insert conditional tags in a custom HTML block manually in Content Template, I'm not sure why you are under the impression this is not supported. I do not see a need for an additional View. Unless I'm misunderstanding something here, I think you can accomplish what you want in one Content Template with a custom HTML block and a conditional shortcode. I've created a similar test checking the value of a custom field for demonstration purposes, and showing variable text based on the field value or (lack thereof). I'm using the $(slug) syntax to access custom field values from the current post. Here is the code in my Content Template in a custom HTML block:

<h4>Simple conditional test in Custom HTML block</h4>
[wpv-conditional if="($(wpcf-book-single-line-1) ne '' )" debug="true"]
    <span>Custom field has value: [types field='book-single-line-1'][/types]</span><br>
[/wpv-conditional]

[wpv-conditional if="($(wpcf-book-single-line-1) eq '' )" debug="true"]
    <span>Custom field has no value:  [types field='book-single-line-1'][/types]</span><br>
[/wpv-conditional]

My custom field slug is "book-single-line-1". Screenshots of the template in the block editor, the book-single-line-1 custom field in two post editor screens, and the two corresponding posts on the front-end of the site. You can see the debug information output on the front-end showing the conditionals functioning as expected. Remove debug="true" from the conditional tag to turn off debug details, and replace book-single-line-1 with the slug of your custom field - consignee-company-name - throughout the code. Your custom HTML block code after edits should look like this:

<div class="invoice-to-container">
  <h4>Invoice To:</h4>
[wpv-conditional if="($(wpcf-consignee-company-name) ne '' )"]
[/wpv-conditional]
<span class="invoice-to-label">Name: [types field='consignee-first-name'][/types] [types field='consignee-last-name'][/types]</span><br>
<span class="invoice-to-label">Address:[types field='consignee-address'][/types]</span><br>
<span class="invoice-to-label">Country: [types field='consignee-country'][/types]</span><br>
<span class="invoice-to-label">Telephone No.: [types field='consignee-telephone'][/types]</span><br>
<span class="invoice-to-label">Email: [types field='consignee-email' output='raw'][/types]</span><br>
</div>

Let me know if this isn't working as expected, or if you have questions about the code.

Excellent. That works. For some reason I didn't believe that ToolSet conditional tags would work in a custom HTML block. Many thanks.

Great, maybe you were thinking of the wpv-for-each shortcode? Conditional statements using wpv-conditional do not function inside the wpv-for-each shortcode contents: https://toolset.com/documentation/programmer-reference/views/views-shortcodes/#wpv-for-each

That is one context I can think of offhand where conditional statements are not supported.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.