Skip Navigation

[Closed] How to create a form for editing and adding content to my web directory

This support ticket is created 3 years, 8 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 0.16 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 - - 9:00 – 13:00
14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 - - 14:00 – 18:00

Supporter timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+00:00)

This topic contains 13 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Jamal 3 years, 8 months ago.

Assisted by: Jamal.

Author
AfterClicking
Web Directory.png

Tell us what you are trying to do?

I am trying to create a form that users can fill for editing the content of my web directory. I want the form to appear as a link on top of every post.

I was able to add an edit option on each post after following the steps mentioned on your website: https://toolset.com/lesson-placement/lesson-placements-1621521-1612095/
However, after clicking on the edit option each time it leads to the main content page and not to the editing form

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+00:00)

Hello and thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

I believe that you have created a content template, put the edit form inside the content template before adding the edit link, right?

If it is the case, maybe there is a compatibility conflict on your website. Please check if this issue appears when:
- Only Toolset plugins are activated. It will tell us if there is an interaction issue with another plugin.
- The theme is set to a WordPress default like Twenty Fourteen. It will tell us if there is an interaction issue with your theme.
If the problem disappears, start activating one at the time to track where the incompatibility is produced.

If it does not help, I might need to take a copy of your website for further debugging. We prefer Duplicator copies https://toolset.com/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

Screenshot 2020-07-26 at 11.33.04 am.png
Screenshot 2020-07-26 at 11.33.18 am.png

"I believe that you have created a content template, put the edit form inside the content template before adding the edit link, right?"
No we actually created an edit form and then added it to every post in our main page/the web directory following the steps from this website: https://toolset.com/lesson-placement/lesson-placements-1621521-1612095/

Can you guide me through the process of adding the edit form.

Thank You!

Jamal
Supporter

Thank you for your feedback.

I see. You are directly putting an edit form inside the loop of the view. I thought that you wanted to put and edit link that will take the user to the edit form. You can't put an edit link without having a separate content template that contains the edit form.
As described in the tutorial, the second step is about creating this content template.

In any case, would you allow me temporary access to your website to check this closely? Your next reply will be private to let you share credentials safely. ** Make a database backup before sharing credentials. **
Please provide details about the involved views and forms.

Jamal
Supporter

Hello and thank you for the credentials.

The issue is coming from mixing content templates and layouts. The custom post type "Charities 1" is using a content template to display the post. But the edit form for the posts is put in a layout "Edit temp".
The layout is also assigned to the custom post type. But the content template is always taking precedence, especially because you are activating the blocks editor for views and content templates.

To resolve this issue, you will have to decide if you will continue using Layouts, or Content templates.

We encourage our clients to use content templates with the block editor. In fact, we have put Toolset Layouts in maintenance mode only. We won't be developing new features for it, we'll be only fixing bugs for some time.

If you decide to continue using layouts, I'll suggest:
- Disable the content template for the Charities-1 custom post type.
- Installing and Activating Toolset Views. This will deactivate Toolset Blocks.
- Configure Toolset to use only the legacy editor in Toolset->Settings->General->Editing Experience.
And we may need to do something more.

If you decide to drop layouts, I'll suggest:
- Creating content template to replace the currently used layouts.
- Unassigning layouts, then assigning content templates instead of them.
- Deactivating the Toolset Layouts.

I hope this makes sense. Let me know if you have any questions or if something did not work as expected.

Jamal
Supporter

Please note that I have changed the visibility of the page to Private, only administrators will be able to view it.

Screenshot 2020-07-31 at 11.50.20 pm.png

Hi,

As you suggested I deactivated Toolset layouts and decided to use Content Template. I followed the steps from this website: https://toolset.com/course-lesson/front-end-forms-for-editing-content/
After completing Step 2: Create a Content Template for displaying the editing form, when I tried to view the form on front end, the below picture is what appeared instead of the actual form. Can you please tell me where I am going wrong.

Thank You!

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Jamal is on vacation. This is Minesh here and I will handle take care of this ticket. Hope this is OK.

I checked with the following private page - I can see the search bar and the results. It seems you did not added the form with the following URL currently - is that correct?
=> hidden link

Can you please tell me what edit for you want to display exactly where? Do you want to display edit form or edit link?

Screenshot 2020-08-04 at 3.55.04 pm.png

Hi,

I want an edit option on top of every title, so that when a user clicks it they are taken to the edit form which they can fill and submit.

Minesh
Supporter

I can see with your form listing page - there are multiple edit forms are available.
=> hidden link

Can you please tell me which one you would like to go with and display the Edit link for your each post listing?

Hi
I created an edit form in toolset -> content template. The name of the template is "list-charities edit form". The name of the post form used is "list-charities edit form". Please note the name of the content template and the post form is same.
Thank you!

Minesh
Supporter

Can you please check now: hidden link

It displays the "Edit" link with every post now.

The culprit was that you set your view on the following page to query the post type "charities-1":
=> hidden link

And with the Edit form "list-charities edit form" - you set this form to uses the post type "list-charity" that is why the link was not disdplayed.

The view where you want to add Edit link and the Edit form should use the same post type. So, with the Edit form "list-charities edit form" I've set the post type to "charites-1":
=> hidden link

Now the Edit link is displayed and working.

Screenshot 2020-08-08 at 9.47.46 PM.png

Hi
Thank you for creating the edit link, it works now. However, I am facing another trouble now. After clicking on edit link the form that is displayed shows "There is a problem with charity-title field. Please check CRED form."
Can you please explain why this is happening and help me solve the problem?
Thanks!

Jamal
Supporter

Minesh has gone on vacation, so I'll continue back with you on this ticket.

I do not know what makes the form display those fields when they are not configured on the form. check this screenshot hidden link
I suspect a caching issue, however, deleting the cache from the "WP Fastest Cache" plugin did not help.

I'll suggest creating a new form for editing this custom post type and using it in the edit content template instead of this old form.

If that does not help. I might need to take a copy of your website for further analysis. We prefer Duplicator copies https://toolset.com/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

Let me know if this issue is still persisting and I'll try to take a copy.

The topic ‘[Closed] How to create a form for editing and adding content to my web directory’ is closed to new replies.