Skip Navigation

[Resolved] How select child CPT when editing parent?

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
Can I select a Child Post from the Parent Post Edit interface, and if no, how can I hide the Child Post section in the parent post edit interface.

Solution:
You can not select a Child Post Type when editing the Parent.

This is only possible the other way around.

When you create a Child Post, you can (after you save it) select a Parent.

From the Parent Post Edit Screen you can only create new Child Posts.

You can remove the "Create Child Table" by following this steps:

1. Types > Post types > your_parent_post_type > edit > Post type relationship > Child Post types

2. Open the link next to the selected Child Post Type

3. Check "Do not show management options for this post type"

4. Save

Relevant Documentation:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/creating-post-type-relationships/
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/creating-post-type-relationships > Select Child Fields and Taxonomies to Display in the Fields Table

This support ticket is created 8 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by jimP 8 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author
Screen Shot 2016-02-19 at 09.25.52.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-19 at 09.25.38.png

This may be a really easy thing, but I have not yet been able to do it successfully. Here's the scenario: our students routinely create and edit parent/child CPTs (note this is not many-to-many as in my other support threads), and they do this directly while logged in (i.e., via the dashboard). While working on the *child* CPT they can readily select the *parent*, but not the other way around, and this induces confusion.

See the two attached screenshots of how this looks: when working on child CPT the parent is readily selected via dropdown menu, but when working on parent CPT one can only create a new child CPT, not select an existing one.

Thanks for your advice!

Jim P.

You can not select a Child Post Type when editing the Parent.

This is only possible the other way around.

When you create a Child Post, you can (after you save it) select a Parent.

From the Parent Post Edit Screen you can only create new Child Posts.
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/creating-post-type-relationships/

Please do not hesitate to open a new thread if other issues or problems arise

Thank you for your patience.

Okay, thanks Beda...so I was correct! Now, my question is: is there any way to hide the child CPT metabox when editing the parent? This way my students won't get confused as to how to relate child-parent CPTs (i.e., the relational parent CPT would only show up on the child).

Many thanks,

Jim P.

Thank you for usndersatnindg the limitations.

You can remove the "Create Child Table" by following this steps:

1. Types > Post types > your_parent_post_type > edit > Post type relationship > Child Post types

2. Open the link next to the selected Child Post Type

3. Check "Do not show management options for this post type"

4. Save
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/creating-post-type-relationships > Select Child Fields and Taxonomies to Display in the Fields Table

Please let me know if the above solution works for you, I look forward to your reply!

Thank you for your patience.

I think this does it for me! I'll be in touch if any issues, but this sounds clear.

Jim p.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.