Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Help on thought process – is this possible to do?

This support ticket is created 8 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 2.26 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by tK-4 8 years, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

To automatically display a SUMMARY list of existing data from many Post Types (i.e. post name w/ URL link, description, thumbnail, etc) AND, THIS IS PART I DON’T KNOW: have a 3-radio button (yes, no, hold) next to each data display point?

I know I can generate a View Loop of the data sets I need displayed.
What I don’t know if possible is how to combine each View Loop into Custom Radio Fields within a New Post Type.

If I did so manually, I would have to enter all data into the ‘question’ meta box of a Custom Form. This obviously would not pull data from a View Loop, sort or keep current (not to mention big-time tedious to maintain).

Just curious how I can collect data and then display that data in a SUMMARY FORM (not having user going back to each individual Post Type) while using it to collect additional data from other Users/sources? Ideas?

Thank you for contacting us here in the Support Forum

I am not sure to understand perfectly the query.

Do you have a CRED Post Form where you want to display certain data of other Post Types?

Or do you want to have a CRED form below / besides each Post you display in a Views Loop?

Do you want to pre-populate a certain field in a CRED form with Data from a certain Post Type?

1. To display data in a CRED form you can insert Views in CRED forms

2. To insert CRED forms in a Views Loop, you can do this with the CRED shortCodes in the Views Loop.
Each form / CRED button will apply to the specific Post in the Loop.

3. To pre-populate fields in CRED, you either need to use CRED API or short-codes to repopulate fields, but here I would need to know what exactly you want to pre-populate and with what.

Please let me know if I fully misunderstood your query.

Thank you for your patience.

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback, Beda.
Currently I have a View showing the collection of data (mainly the Titles from many Posts of one Post Type). Somehow, I would like to show this list with radio checkboxes (yes,no,hold) next to each line-item whereas then presumably it wouldn't be a View but something else surely. I don't have the Cred plugin as is okay if this is all back-end. The list would change very frequently but the radio checkboxes would be constant.

It's similar to having thousands of blog posts on one blog. We want a Post Type to display all the Post Titles (and other details) in such a way as so the back-end reader can radio select which title meets their criteria (like a taxonomy) ... so that a new View can be displayed for each User.

Thanks for the Details

The Radios (yes,no,hold) are editable fields, right?
Then you need CRED to do this.

A Form would hold the proper Custom fields and all you need to do is insert the CRED in your Views Loop, style properly with HTML so it is inline with, as example, the Post Title.

If those aren't editable, you can just add the proper Custom Fields with Types to your Custom Post Type and then display the Field in the View Loop with the proper Types ShortCode.
Fields (radios) are then edited in the Backend.

If the Radios are constant but the Posts change, means, radio and post has NO relation between each other, I would suggest a second Post Type, holding the Field (radio) and then query both Post types in the same view, wrapping in correct HTML for alignment.

This way you can change / add posts, but keep radios as they are.

But from your description, I rather understand that you want users to be able to "create" a own list of posts, according to some radios they check in the backend, the posts are then displayed according the users' choices.

Here it depends, if the User who's logged in should see he's choices only, or if those lists should be visible for all users.

Either way you would need to somehow differentiate the authors / users for this goal.

That means, if y user checks "hold", you do not know who checked that, unless this can only be done by the author itself, which I do not suppose.

So, to make this work you need rather a CheckBox List / Radio or even taxonomy list with all users.
Each post has then a list of all users, the user checks his name when he wants to put the Post in his list.

Then you create ONE view, query filter by (example Custom Field) "Display posts with Custom Field [yourfield] value [set by shortcode parameter]

This View is then inserted in a page, and you pass the User name (the exact same as you use in the Custom Field) in the ShortCode parameter.

That would then display for each User only his posts.

Other similar approaches are possible.

Please let me know if you need further infos about this.

Thanks for your input and patience. It sounds like CRED gives me more options. I guess what is still confusing to me is knowing if a CRED/Types/Views (not sure which is applicable) can auto-populate a form view (with blog post titles) whereas it too would each line item be attached to a checkbox list/radio fields.

If I had a blog with 1,000 posts, I know I can create a list of those posts with a View using whatever criteria I want. Will CRED give me the option to have that same list displayed with an adjoining Form (checkbox list or radio) so viewers (either front-end or back-end) can select and save and send list to other users via Post Type?

I simply need 1,000 questions answered by users whereas each question (blog title) has only 3 fixed answers (radio) ... so how to create when I don't know the 1,000 questions (blog titles) as they continually change (thus the need to auto-populate that part of the form).

I apologize the delay here

1. Each of your Posts should hold that Custom Field (yes,no,hold) as a Radio Boxes Field
You create a CRED Form that edits those Posts.
In a View you list all those Posts, and as example with the Wizard you create a Table View, that lists left hand the Post Title, right hand the relevant CRED Form
Post Title and CRED form are inserted just once in the View.
View takes action and produces a Loop.
This Loop populates your table, and there you have a Full list of all your posts, nicely sort in a table, with each post a CRED Form on it's right hand.

2. As above, the View renders the Posts.
If you insert also the CRED form, it will also render a CRED for each Post.

- Create your Post type (questions), add your questions (one post each)
- Create a Custom Field Radio type, 3 options (yes,no,hold)
- Create a CRED from (edits posts) and output only the relevant custom field in it
- Insert all in the View (posts + CRED)

You can add more posts, no issue. Views will take care and automatically add them also to your List.

Please let me know if you need further infos about this.

Thanks so much for detailing.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.