Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Google will not index pages with url parameters

This support ticket is created 5 years, 4 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Nigel 5 years, 4 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

I have a client site where I am using some views with parametric filters. Several pages using these filters are not indexed by Google because there is a canonical version (without url parameters). How can I fix this?

I have a CPT which is categorized for country ( or for product) by a custom taxonomy. Therefore I have some pages like hidden link

OR

hidden link

How can I have these pages indexed rather than 'general-page' ?

Thank you

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi there

Google does index pages with URL parameters—if it finds them.

If there are links on your site to such pages it will find them, or if you update the robots.txt file accordingly it will find them.

See the official Google documentation (hidden link) or a more user-friendly guide (hidden link).

It sounds like you could be using standard archive URLs so that URL parameters are not needed, e.g. site.com/country/usa/ which would display all posts with the usa term of the country taxonomy.

Yes. The point is: I have a page hidden link . this page is visible, linked, crawled. but the page has a canonical to hidden link so it is not indexed. Is it a seo issue, maybe?

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Are you using an SEO plugin?

Toolset doesn't have any way to customise the canonical link in the page head, but you may be able to with an SEO plugin.

You would need to try and see, I don't know without installing such plugins and experimenting myself.

I stumbled across this article which you may find helpful (though it doesn't answer the question of how to set the canonical link to include URL parameters): hidden link

This one shows how to though: hidden link

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.