Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Google maps isn't loading – appears to have a javascript issue

This support ticket is created 4 years, 5 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 13 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by brettD-4 4 years, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

Hi,

I'm having trouble with the toolset maps plugin. It appears that despite having an API key my map is intermittently working. However it's now gone back to not loading.

Message reads: "Sorry! Something went wrong.This page didn't load Google Maps correctly. See the JavaScript console for technical details."

Initially I had the elementor google maps extender plugin loaded and I thought this might be causing the issue. What originally happened was the toolset maps plugin appeared to work however my elementor maps extender plugin then started to experience issues.

I made the decision to delete the elementor google map extender plugin to see what happened. I still appeared to have issues. What I then did was have the WordPress help team clear my cache on the backend. This appeared to provide a temporary solution. Things were working however now the problem has come back (after about 5-10 mins).

I believe the API key isn't the issue as I have tried both with unrestricted and restricted access. Currently it is set to restricted with three IP addresses (my website IP and also the IP suggested by toolset Maps) and 4 APIs (Geocoding API, Maps Embed API, Maps JavaScript API, Places API).

Hoping you might be able to provide assistance to get the functionality working.

Thank you,

Brett

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Brett,

Thank you for getting in touch.

Would you mind providing me with admin access as well as a link to the page where this issue is occurring so that I can have a look ?

The private fields have been enabled for your next response.

Thanks,
Shane

Shane
Supporter

Hi Brett,

The site is not allowing me o log in with the credentials you sent.

Instead its redirecting me to wordpress.com to log in.

Could you check no this and let me know?

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,

Thank you for coming back to me. I've spoken to the wordpress admin team and they have informed me that's standard - to access a site you need to login with your wordpress profile first (to the actual wordpress platform). Once you're in then you can use the credentials. There is one other way - I can invite you to the site by issuing an invite to your email. Is there an email I can use to invite you?

Thanks,

Brett

So I just finished talking to the tech team at wordpress. I can only create a generic login if we're using the self hosted wordpress.org however as I'm on wordpress.com I can only issue credential directly to you. To do this I need to send the invite to your wordpress registered email address (or alternatively to a email address that you can use to create a wordpress login).

Seems pretty straight forward. If you send me the email address I'll issue a profile invite.

Thanks,

Brett

Shane
Supporter

Hi Brett,

You can send the invite to shane.c@onthegosystems.com

Thanks Shane. I've just sent an invite through.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Brett,

It seems the issue is being caused by the Gutenburg plugin that is installed.

This plugin shouldn't be required as wordpress comes with this by default.

Would you mind disabling this and let me know if the issue still remains ?

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,

Unfortunately the issue still persists. I deactivated Gutenberg and it still failed to load. I also played around with utilising the full site editor and classic editor plugin - nothing seemed to change the issue.

hidden link
hidden link

Thanks for your help here,

Brett

Shane
Supporter

Hi Brett,

Given the nature of the site.

Would it be ok if I did some basic debugging such as disabling plugins etc?

Also if possible can i install the duplicator plugin to create a copy of the site ?

The issue is being caused by errors being thrown in the console of the site but i need to debug to see what is causing these errors.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Shane

Please go ahead.

Thanks,

Brett

Shane
Supporter

Screenshot 2019-10-09 at 2.24.34 PM.png

Hi Brett,

Thank you I was able to get a copy and then determine that the issue was the key itself.

As you can see the address works when i changed the API key to one that I generated. See Screenshot

The only API that our document requires to be enabled is the Maps and Places API.

So please disable the others and let me know if this helps.

Thanks,
Shane

This is super helpful. Thank you for this. I've gone ahead and updated the address fields for the live posts and the map shows the correct pins. 🙂

There is still an issue with utilising the map function though: I have created a toolset view that populates with the correct data however the map does not register the address markers (despite drawing on the custom address marker field).

I've been reading through the help advice on toolset however the map is not performing as expected. I wanted to use the block editor to update a map with the address pins of the underlying search items. I have followed the instructions: https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/how-toolset-plugins-work-with-gutenberg/toolset-maps-block/

Please note as well as using the block editor functionality to source the underlying marker addresses I have also used the toolset short codes however the markers just don't appear on the map. A marker will appear when I use a single marker (e.g. manual GPS Coordinate) however it won't appear when I use the search address option despite being able to locate the location in the search bar.

I'm not sure how to proceed. I've created the view - the data comes through but the map just doesn't respond. What can I do to get the map to perform as the instructions say it should?

Thank you!

Brett

Hi Shane,

I just realised this is a seperate issue at the end so I created a new ticket. Have a lovely day!

Brett

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.