Skip Navigation

[Resolved] google maps api request not timing out – stays alive

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: There is a Google Maps API request happening on my site even though I am not using the Toolset Maps plugin.

Solution: Disable the Ubermenu plugin, or deactivate Google Maps API in Ubermenu settings.

This support ticket is created 6 years, 8 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by COOP2016 6 years, 8 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author
issue_1.png

My site makes a call to the google maps api on every page load.

I do not have the google maps plugin installed as I do not need this.

On every page load the site makes a request to the google maps api. A connection is established but never times out. The connection stays alive so the page hangs as it never finishes loading.

This was not an issue with Chrome or the past version of Firefox. It has now become an issue since I upgrade Firefox to version 52.2.1 (32-bit).

I don't understand why a call is being made to goolge maps, I did not install the maps plugin.

I need to switch it off or remove the calls to the api altogether.

Any assistance is much appreciated.

These as the scripts making the calls in the head. Need to know what there are before I start messing with them.

<script type="text/javascript" charset="UTF-8" src="hidden link"></script>

Hi, can you try the following troubleshooting steps to help pin down the issue?
- Disable any Firefox extensions you have installed and test again
- Temporarily deactivate any non-Toolset plugins, then activate a default theme like Twenty Seventeen and retest.
- If the problem is resolved, reactivate your theme, plugins and extensions one by one until the conflict is revealed
- If the problem is not resolved, I may need to take a look at your site to continue investigating. If that's okay with you, please provide login credentials in the private reply fields here.

Also, please include your debug information with every ticket you create in the forum. It helps speed up the process because we can see some of your configurations, installed themes and plugins. We have an article with instructions located here: https://toolset.com/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

NOTE: Please be sure to check the box to indicate you can provide debug info and paste your debug info in the debug field provided, and NOT in the general response field. Thanks for your cooperation!

Hi Christian,

Thanks for the response. I just need to know which of the Toolset plugins has the call to the google maps api built in and how to go about removing it.
FYI. I have twenty sixteen integration plugin as well as every other plugin with exception of the maps plugin.

I just need to know which of the Toolset plugins has the call to the google maps api built in and how to go about removing it.
I would like to be able to give you a specific, concise answer, so I need you to follow the troubleshooting steps I explained earlier to be able to narrow down the source of the problematic Maps API call. It could be in one of several places, so I cannot give you specific steps to resolve this without more information. If you would prefer not to follow the troubleshooting steps, I will be happy to work with a clone of your site so I can run these tests myself. I can work with a clone made using Duplicator, or WP All-in-One Migration, or if you have another method you would prefer I am open to suggestion. Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

Hi Christian,

Followed you suggestion and completed the trouble shooting steps.

Found out it was a third party plugin - Ubermenu - that was making the call.

It was as simple as going into the Ubermenu> General settings> Assets and un-ticking Load Google Maps API which was pre-ticked.

Hope this helps someone else who might have the same issue.

Thanks for your help.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.