Skip Navigation

[Resolved] getting view to show up

This support ticket is created 5 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by loriD 5 years ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do?

Okay so I have the Mini bike introduction that I have been working on the view. I pull that information from the introduction post for mini bike maniac, I want that view to then be on the Introduction: Mini Bike Maniac Page. It doesn't show up at all. However, if I put it on another Introduction post it shows up. I am assuming it is a naming conflict - here we go again.
I have giving the introduction all kinds of names, including Introduction01 and nothing happens. I use the posts primarily for data but want to display the content using a responsive view.
Is there any documentation that you are following?
None.
Is there a similar example that we can see?

this shows the view I want BUT on the mini bike maniac page. hidden link

this shows what I am getting hidden link
this is using the introduction01-view as to not use the words mini bike maniac

I have WAY too much content to redo for this responsive concept to keep having these issues. I'm told not to use ID's, which isn't working either, but I need the content I create to go where I want it. Period. Please help.

What is the link to your site?
hidden link

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi there

I'm sorry, I read through your post several times and I don't understand what the issue is, I need you to describe it again more clearly if possible.

I visited your links.

This link is a single introduction post: hidden link

According to the source code it appears to have 3 Views on the page.

This is also a single, but different, introduction post: hidden link

According to the source code it also has 3 Views inserted on the page.

On each of them the IDs of the Views on the page are 67772, 67469, and 61841, i.e. they have the same 3 Views on each page.

As I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at on these pages I don't know what the issue is.

I'm sorry I am new to bootstrap but NOT to views. I am far from proficient so let me try this again.

prior to trying to change everything to bootstrap I was using views and there codes everywhere. It is NOT uncommon for me to have 5 views on a page. (see the home page) Prior to bootstrap that didn't matter they all had their unique names and I typically use Id's in the coding,

so going back to the first link - you are correct. I have a bootstrap slider view. At the moment the issue is, on THAT page it has the Mini Bike Maniac Introduction BECAUSE the 9 round one wont populate however the Mini Bike Maniac will - I want 9round's to be there.

I also have the view for the referrers which at some point will also become a bootstrap view if I can get anything other than that slider to work.

SO the issue is that I want any and all views that I choose to put on a single page to work as I want them to. So what do I have to do now, because what I am accustom to doing clearly isn't working.

Again I do not know why the 9round introduction view wont show up on the 9 round introduction post, however it WILL show up on the Mini Bike Maniac Page. and vice Versa meaning the Mini Bike Maniac introduction view wont show up on the mini bike introduction post however will show up on the 9 round introduction post.

This tells me the views in of them selves work, but there is a conflict with in the page. SO if you look at my 3 page support ticket that I just gave up on yesterday. I was told to stay away from ID's, Maybe I should but how do I avoid the conflicts I am having. I even tried to rename the view introduction01 and it still didn't work. (I did also try ID's and they didn't work either.)

think of it like your car wont run for you but it will for me, AND my car wont run for me but it will for you. that isn't okay, but that is what is happening to these views on these posts.

I hope that helps because I really don't know how to explain it better. they don't work on their own posts, BUT do on others that do not pertain to them.

by the way; saying I can't use more than 1 or 2 per page won't work.
Lori

Nigel
Supporter

I think it would help if I could look at the Views and how they are inserted on the page, that might help me identify the problem.

Can I get access details from you?

I will mark your next reply as private so that I can get log-in credentials from you—you may want to create a temporary admin user for me to use that you can later delete. And be sure to have a current backup of your site.

I think I have it figured out. I changed the name of the post page. So far the view is working.

Thank you
Lori

Nigel
Supporter

OK, glad to hear that, it sounds like we can close this, but if you find it is not working let me know.

okay so things are not working anymore, I have no idea what is going on, or why it looked okay last night.

these are the two pages i am referring to
hidden link
hidden link

these are the two views.
{!{wpv-view name='introduction-nineround-muskego'}!}
{!{wpv-view name='introduction-mini-bike-maniac'}!}

BOTH views are on BOTH pages.

Notice the wrong view is on the pages.

I am SOOO tired, please help I have been spinning my wheels with this responsive and bootstrap poop for 2 weeks now, I would really like things to start falling into place. please please please.

by the way: all the credentials are still the same.
thank you
Lori

Nigel
Supporter

Screenshot 2019-03-25 at 13.17.53.png

Hi Lori

I'm still not entirely sure from your description what exactly the problem is, but I did look at your site to try and understand your set up and have perhaps spotted the problem.

Your Views have the setting "Don't include current page in query result" (screenshot), so if you are displaying an introduction post "mini-bike maniac" and add a View to the post which is also supposed to return the same post it won't because of this setting.

I must say that I was very confused by your set up.

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve, but I suspect you are going about it the wrong way.

You have 329 Views. That's a lot!

The Views you mention in this thread include Query Filters for the business intros taxonomy with a term that seems unique to each introduction post. (Each term is assigned to only one post, but taxonomies are used for grouping related posts, and so you would typically expect multiple posts to have the same term assigned.) So it seems like you are using them to achieve something which is not their intended use and probably points to a an underlying problem with your set up.

It is very strange to be inserting Views into single posts in the way that you have.

You are not using templates to display your introduction posts, whereas I would expect you to create a Content Template to be used for all introduction posts which have a common format, but where the content of the fields comes from the particular post being displayed with the template.

See this page, for example: https://toolset.com/documentation/getting-started-with-toolset/create-templates-to-display-custom-posts/

okay I will look at the "don't include current page in query results." that makes sense - not that you state that.

However, in my defense I am far from an expert in toolset, AND documentation has shown that, and in fact when you create a new view it is automatically checked so I didn't think of it. I was working through what I did specifically.

yes I have a lot of views, but that is actually down. However, I guess I don't really see how that should be a problem. You plugin does actually offer a directory of sorts as a website concept and that is really what I am going for. each directory entry has is't own content that gets displayed in a view. Don't really understand how to work around that. and YES I have actually downloaded your directory at one point, and worked through it so again I don't get the real issue.

As for the templates, yes I did graduate to using them. however, as nice as they seem to be, I deleted a view, which was attached to a template, and even though THAT template WAS attached to other views the template deleted. That was part of my first conversation with Shane. I understand that isn't supposed to happen but it did. which just added way more work for me than it saved.

Also right now I am trying to replace all those regular views with responsive grid views, which isn't coming together very well. If and when I am able to get things to work I would be more than happy to create standard content templates for all the alike views that would be awesome. as long as they don't delete on me.

Also in all reality my site is still very small, if the number of views I am currently working with is really a problem than I don't get the point at all.

and finally I am trying to make the posts look a bit nicer and trying to reduce the work but I guess I will rework that. I don't know it's called experimenting right now. maybe it won't work but I again am not an expert, I am NOT a developer, I am a person who is trying to get a site up and running and basically teaching myself with a very complicated plugin of which I seem to fail at way more than succeed. I had things going fine over all till I was advised to make my site responsive. the horror.

I want the content of that post (or others) to go to more than one place and be used over and over. So in my mind I can
1. duplicate the post
2 add the content into the view custom fields
3 be done, it now shows up in the new post and where ever else I want it.

instead of putting it in the custom fields AND then again in the post. But if that is the doom then fine. yet another thing that wont work.

at this point I can't get the the main responsive main views to work the way I want either.

Moving on to the next Toolset views fail!!
Thank you
Lori

So here is the result. Your solution worked thank you I unchecked the box.
I attempted to use the "content template" by putting it into the page as the documentation video I watched again indicated. Here is the issue. It blew out my page. I am sure you are wondering what I mean.

If you go look at the post hidden link

it is an extension of the members content and style. NOT the crappy nothing that the posts usually look like. my theme allows for posts to be styled using fusion builder.

I understand it is unconventional, but unfortunately that is who I am. So unless I am missing yet another vital piece of this puzzle I will unfortunately have a lot of view. After all THAT is why I have toolset.

Thank you though for figuring it out for me because this bootstrap stuff has my head so wrapped up in knots I never would have figured it out.

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

okay so your comment about the number of view got me thinking a bit. So I am wondering 1 if filtering by taxonomy AND using the "Value set by the current page where this View is shown" would help because what I want is to have " the same View to return different results, according to the page it’s inserted to." which is what it's explanation is...

(The View is always inserted somewhere. That page where the View is inserted is responsible for setting the taxonomy term. This is good when you want the same View to return different results, according to the page it’s inserted to.)

However, I have ABSOLUTELY no idea how to do this, AND I can not find anything more about it. So instead I take the easy way out. and make a lot of what I know.

So I would LOVE to reduce my work and would LOVE to not have to make so many views but I don't know how.
I must say this is one of the reasons I have such a love/hate relationship with toolset. I love how you can handle content but it is sometimes so extremely hard to learn how to do things and your documentation always seem to fall short of answering the question. I don't know if this is by design or not.

But if you have a better suggestion that I can actually do and will work and reduces my overall work load I am all ears.

Thank You
Lori

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.