Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Getting a view to display multiple values for multiple parents

This support ticket is created 5 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 5 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do? display mulitple instances of relationship between child and multiple parent posts, and trying to display a parent taxonomy with multiple values

Is there any documentation that you are following? https://toolset.com/documentation/post-relationships/how-to-display-related-posts-with-toolset/#displaying-many-related-items

What is the link to your site? The view can be seen at hidden link

I am building a view to display a new post type set up with the new many to many relationships.

I successfully displayed one parent taxonomy but another will not display... potentially because it has multiple values

The code I used to display one parent taxonomy was: <td>[wpv-post-taxonomy type="company-state" item="@company-profile_funding-event.parent"]</td> but <td>[wpv-post-taxonomy type="category" item="@company-profile_funding-event.parent"]</td> did not work.

I also want to display the values for another parent post type, with mulitple values... but I have only succesfully got the view to display one value with the code: <td>[wpv-post-link id="$partner"]</td> I am usure what code to use when there are mulitple related posts.

I hope you can help.

Cheers

Peter

I'll be glad to check, but I'll need to see wp-admin to get a clearer idea of what you want to accomplish. Please provide login credentials here.

I successfully displayed one parent taxonomy but another will not display... potentially because it has multiple values
The wpv-post-taxonomy shortcode works well with multiple terms, so something else is going on here. Since the View's Content Selection is Funding Event posts, the taxonomy shortcode here is looking at the parent company profile for the announcement category taxonomy:

<td>[wpv-post-taxonomy type="announcement-category" item="@company-profile_funding-event.parent"]</td>

However, the "Announcement Category" taxonomy isn't applied to the Company Profile post type:
hidden link

Maybe you meant to display the category taxonomy instead? It is assigned to the Company Profile post type.

<td>[wpv-post-taxonomy type="category" item="@company-profile_funding-event.parent"]</td>

I but I have only succesfully got the view to display one value with the code: <td>[wpv-post-link id="$partner"]</td> I am usure what code to use when there are mulitple related posts.
Use nested Views. In this case, if you want to display links to all the related posts (in one or more post types) in the next-to-last column, you must create another View and place it inside this current View. That View can loop over all the related posts in different post types.

Christian

Thanks for the help... stupid mistake with the Announcements category...

It has been so long I since I have set up the views on my site I forgot about nested views... now sorted... ALL I have to do now is figure out how get filters and search set up and figure out how best format the table.

I saw that post tables pro is integrated with Types... but I suspect it doesn't work with views. Do you know of any easy solution for displaying and formatting the table?

Cheers

Peter

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Peter,

Christian is out today but should return tomorrow to continue assisting.

Thanks,
Shane

We have some basic information about creating tables and grids available here:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/view-layouts-101/
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/displaying-content-using-grids/

Toolset includes the optional Bootstrap 3.3 library, which comes with some table-specific styles. For fully custom table styles, you'll have to use your own CSS or a theme that includes its own reusable table CSS.
https://getbootstrap.com/docs/3.3/css/#tables

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.