Skip Navigation

[Resolved] German (formal) not recognized

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: If I choose the German Formal language (Deutsch Sie), most of Toolset is displayed in English. I would like to know if I can copy .mo files from the standard German into the formal German language, and if formal translations can be added.

Solution: Formal German translations will be added in a future release of the plugins. For now, you may copy the German mo files from the following directories:
Types: /vendor/toolset/types/embedded/locale
CRED: /library/toolset/cred/embedded/locale
Layouts: /locale
Views: /cred-frontend-editor/vendor/toolset/toolset-common/languages

You should be able to copy the de_DE.mo files as de_DE_formal.mo to use the existing standard German translations in German formal. Let me know if you have questions about that.

This support ticket is created 4 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by marcialB 4 years, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

Hi there

When setting the language to German (Standard), Toolset is in German. When switching to German formal, Toolset reverts to English. I don't find the language files to adjust that (usually I could rename the mo / po files on the server). I would like to enable the standard translations to work with the formal version as well. How can I do that?

Best,
Marcial

Hello, I'm not completely sure but I can ask my 2nd tier team for some additional information. Can you tell me which Toolset plugins you are using?

Hi Christian

I use types, views, layouts and cred. I'm particularly interested in the CRED-translations. All the warnings and hints are nicely prewritten. If I use it in english, I manually have to change all of them each time I add a field to a form.

The translations of those warnings and hints seem to be very neutral and suitable for both formal and non-formal cases. In my opinion, you could thus enable the existing german translations to the formal version as well.

Thanks for helping me with this.

Best,
Marcial

My 2nd tier team reports that the .mo files can be found in these directories:
Types: /vendor/toolset/types/embedded/locale
CRED: /library/toolset/cred/embedded/locale
Layouts: /locale

You should be able to copy the de_DE.mo files as de_DE_formal.mo to use the existing standard German translations in German formal. Let me know if you have questions about that.

Hi Christian

I did as you suggested. For the forms it works. So my question is answered. Just a thought: what happens when I update the plugin? That will remove the new language file, right? Can I have a copy in the "normal" languages folder in the wp-content folder to avoid that?

For the other parts of toolset: it only works partially. Some translations are german, some are still in english. I also translated the Views plugin in the same matter, but there it doesn't seem to work at all. Maybe you can implement this directly in the plugins for the next release. I attached a screenshot with the plugins I tested (only for the settings page). --> hidden link

Best,
Marcial

Just a thought: what happens when I update the plugin? That will remove the new language file, right?
Yes, that's correct. We've submitted a request to add these .mo files to future plugin releases but I can't guarantee they will make it into the very next releases. You'll probably have to copy the .mo file(s) again next time you update plugin(s)...so hold on to these file directory notes.

Can I have a copy in the "normal" languages folder in the wp-content folder to avoid that?
Right now .mo files for our plugins placed in wp-content/languages are not implemented, but we are asking our developers if there is a quick fix. I'll let you know what I find out.

For the other parts of toolset: it only works partially. Some translations are german, some are still in english. I also translated the Views plugin in the same matter, but there it doesn't seem to work at all.
Yes CRED (Forms) has copies of Views .mo files. When both plugins are active, the Views .mo files in /wp-views/ subdirectories are overridden by Views .mo files in /cred-frontend-editor/ directories. So you must copy and rename the Views de_DE .mo file as well in cred-frontend-editor/vendor/toolset/toolset-common/languages

Maybe you can implement this directly in the plugins for the next release.
Unfortunately I can't guarantee this will make it into the next release, but we have asked to get this translation added. Once the translations are added, we can make minor adjustments for the formal version if needed.

Hi Christian

Thank you very much for your comprehensive feedback and for forwarding my proposal to the devs.

I hope the translations will get implemented as discussed. For the time being I'll stick with your recommendations.

Best,
Marcial

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.