Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Genesis places primary sidebar widget, but doesn't show it in Layout screen

The Toolset Community Forum is closed, for technical support questions, please head on to our Toolset Professional Support (for paid clients), with any pre-sale or admin question please contact us here.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The "Primary Sidebar Widget Area" in Genesis child theme does not display in layout

Solution:
deactivate other plugins and switch to Genesis parent theme, and test again

Relevant Documentation:

This support ticket is created 8 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.
This is the community support forum for Types plugin, which is part of Toolset. Toolset is a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients and people who registered for Types community support can post in it.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by harryT 8 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Luo Yang.

Author
WPT-Primary-widget-area-missing.jpg

I am trying to: see the block for the "Primary Sidebar Widget Area" in my Genesis child theme.

I expected to see: the block representing the PSWA in my Layouts child layout.

Instead, I got: the block is not visible. However, the widget is active and on the front page.

When I first installed the Toolset Genesis Integration plugin, the block was visible on the generated Home/Blog page. I removed the block because I didn't need it at first. Later, when I decided I wanted to use it after all, I placed it. It disappeared as soon as I hit "Save." Yet the block is visible on my Home page and functional.

If you look at the screencap I've attached, you will see that the block has been placed twice; once on a line with other elements, once by itself. In both instances, the block is invisible, yet the other blocks/empty areas are visible.

I tried regenerating the Home/Blog page on my local machine version of the site, but that didn't work. The block was not visible on the newly generated page.

I also incorporated the code block found on https://toolset.com/forums/topic/layouts-genesis-integration-plugin-makes-genesis-sidebar-disappear/ in my functions.php file, but no joy.

If you need a Duplicate of the site, I can send it to you.

54.JPG

Dear harry,

I can see two rows with same name "Row 4" in your screenshot, why do you need two different rows with same row name?
And I can not duplicate same problem in a fresh wordpress installation + Genesis 2.2.6 + Layouts + Toolset Genesis Integration, see screenshot 54.JPG, I tried to remove/add the "Primary Sidebar" Widget Area cell few times, it does display in the layout correctly.

I suggest you try this:
1) deactivate other plugins and switch to Genesis parent theme, and test again
2) create a complete new layout with the "Primary Sidebar" Widget Area cell, and replace the problem layout, and test again.

Suggestion 1 worked, for some reason. Not sure what was causing the error.

The reason i had two rows with the same widget in them was because I was trying to demonstrate the problem. Not sure why they were both called "Row 4." I didn't rename them. It's not an issue I'm worried about, anyway.

The forum ‘Types Community Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.