Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Forms do not send email to post author

This support ticket is created 5 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 73 replies, has 6 voices.

Last updated by Beda 4 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

Thanks Beda

It is clear to me now that this only occurs when Avada Child is activated. Therefore I assume you can't provide support.

I suppose my options are to go back to Avada parent and add all the customisations into the parent (and put them back every time Avada updates) or give up!

Nick.

That is what I suspected, that code is completely unrelated to notifications or Toolset forms, and hence, cannot interfere.

I also understand the issue is in the Child Theme, which our tests prove.
Hence the best possible approach here is to (step by step) remove the code from it until you have it working, or, create a new child theme and add that code step by step until it breaks.
That will then show precisely what is wrong with it.

Please let me know what it is, as I then might be able to assist you in further troubleshooting, or at least give input on what to look for/what to try.

testing.png

Hi Beda

So, I have undertaken the following steps. It would appear that the mere fact of using the Avada Child theme (a completely clean install with no code in it whatsoever) causes the issue.

I left all plugins off as you had left them on ads.radioverulam.com

This seems like a pretty big issue which ought to be affecting other users unless there is something else in combination which is having the effect.

Attached is a screenshot of the table I am keeping of all testing now!

testing 2.png

A further update.

It appears that if the Child theme is used, it is possible to remove the non-sending issue by chantging the setting of forms to "Submit this form without reloading the page (use AJAX)". Having done this with two forms which were previously not sending emails, they now send emails as designed.

Any idea why the page refresh prevents the email being sent?

If you can submit emails when "Submit this form without reloading the page (use AJAX)" is used, then that means you can send emails only when the forms are submitted by AJAX, and reloading the page would break it.
This is rather interesting, usually, it's the other way around - the Theme then conflicts with some JS code.

Can you let me know on what precise forms I see these replicable issues?
Is it still on the old site provided access for here?
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/forms-do-not-send-email-to-post-author/page/4/#post-1221956

If so, can you indicate me the form you used for this?
Is it still the exact same as this? https://toolset.com/forums/topic/forms-do-not-send-email-to-post-author/page/4/#post-1225804
Please let me know.

Thanks Beda

Yes, this is on ads.radioverulam.com, the development site

The forms where I have changed the setting and they now work are "Create Audio Clip" (6057) and "Create a location" (7021). These forms can be used (when logged in) on pages hidden link and hidden link respectively.

Nick.

There are several updates pending on the site which would be necessary.

I also tested the form in question after editing that form (6057) because I was not included in the mail list and hence removed the recipients and added myself as such.
However the website was not reachable a good time of these tests, it seems there are issues with the server.
I also confirmed this on different browsers and ISP.

The submit button in the page does not work. I could hence not submit the form.
hidden link
I even removed the AJAX submit in the form itself, it still just does nothing when pressed.

I can not test this on the form it seems.

Can you show me a form that works, where the email is sent, even with the Child theme?
You mentioned this is possible to achieve, but I see that I might miss some details to confirm this.

Beda

I'm sorry that the site continues to be problematic. I have therefore created a new copy and included your user account in it. if you can set the next reply to private, I can send you details

Nick.

I received the password link, thank you.

I submitted the form and both emails are sent, they are visible in hidden link

Now, I had the "Submit with AJAX" disabled because you mentioned it will only work if enabled.
But still, the notification is sent even it's disabled.

The child theme is as well active.

Can you let me know what I need to adjust to seeing the issue?
It seems solved.

Thanks.

Looking at the email log, it looks as though by coincidence I may have changed the setting to using Ajax just as you were submitting the form (I was testing the behaviour with and without). I will not make any further changes!

I have just tried again with no Ajax and a different user; the email is definitely not sent and does not appear in the email logging

Nick.

OK; I am trying again with the form as we speak.

The site again figured relatively long loading.
I am not sure what this is due to - I can, however, confirm that other websites load normally here, it hence should be something within the specific website, server.

I can confirm I received no email this time until I activated "Submit this form without reloading the page (use AJAX)" where I received the mail.

I see however the child theme active is not a bare slate from Avada, it is customized, in the code.
However, you mentioned a bare Avada Install here.
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/forms-do-not-send-email-to-post-author/page/5/#post-1230430
Can you re-instantiate this so I can confirm?
Then of course, if a child theme provided by Avada runs erratic with Toolset, we can look deeper.
But we cannot look into customized Child Themes issues.

Thank you!

Thanks for all your help.

For me the site mostly responds quite quickly but then can take a long while to load a page (especially backend I think).

From my point of view, as I have found a solution, this doesn't need to be handled urgently so please attack this as you wish.

I confirm that I have now loaded a clean new install of Avada and the child theme, taken direct from Themeforest.

I also made another copy of the site to an entirely different server and, interestingly, the issue is not present when using that server.

Nick.

The form on the test site I have access to works now, even if not using Submit this form without reloading the page (use AJAX)
This confirms it is in the Child Theme that previously was active, which held custom code.

Can you confirm?
The notification to the post author is sent.

I'm sorry but I definitely don't receive a notification when I post using ads.radioverulam.com/create-audio-clip without Ajax.

Here is the post I created on 19/4 at 11.07 : hidden link

The email log does not show anything sent either.

Maybe there is something odd about my user account, so I also have tried with another user (test.dj) and thids also fails to send an email (the post was hidden link) This was created at 19/4 11.13 and does not show in the email log

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.