Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Form isn't submitting when Elementor is active

This support ticket is created 5 years, 4 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 5 years, 4 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

I am trying to: allow a logged in user to update their details in a CPT

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link
- login credentials hidden -
Then click to Update Profile (hidden link)
You don't need to make any changes, just click 'UPDATE PROFILE' at the bottom.

I put some code in to store the errors and it stored this:
[13-Nov-2018 17:42:13 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to a member function get_component() on null in /home/moveassured/new.move-assured.co.uk/wp-content/plugins/elementor/modules/page-templates/module.php:345
Stack trace:
#0 /home/moveassured/new.move-assured.co.uk/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(288): Elementor\Modules\PageTemplates\Module->filter_update_meta(NULL, 623, '_wp_page_templa...')
#1 /home/moveassured/new.move-assured.co.uk/wp-includes/plugin.php(203): WP_Hook->apply_filters(NULL, Array)
#2 /home/moveassured/new.move-assured.co.uk/wp-includes/meta.php(191): apply_filters('update_post_met...', NULL, 623, '_wp_page_templa...', 'default', '')
#3 /home/moveassured/new.move-assured.co.uk/wp-includes/post.php(1863): update_metadata('post', 623, '_wp_page_templa...', 'default', '')
#4 /home/moveassured/new.move-assured.co.uk/wp-includes/post.php(3583): update_post_meta(623, '_wp_page_templa...', 'default')
#5 /home/moveassured/new.move-assured.co.uk/wp-includes/post.php(3746): wp_insert_post(Array, false)
#6 /home/moveassured/new.move-as in /home/moveassured/new.move-assured.co.uk/wp-content/plugins/elementor/modules/page-templates/module.php on line 345

I expected to see: 'Thank you for updating your profile'.

Instead, I got: A page with just the title and this in the URL: ?content-template-id=210&_tt=1542271470

Hi, can you try the following troubleshooting steps first?
- Temporarily deactivate all plugins except Elementor, Elementor Pro, Types, Views and Forms. Then activate a default theme like Twenty Seventeen.
- Test again. If the problem is resolved, reactivate your parent theme, then child theme, then other plugins one by one until the problem returns.
- If the problem was not resolved, let me know and I'll be glad to take a closer look. I will probably need to create a clone of your site by installing the Duplicator plugin, then I can run tests locally. Let me know if that's okay.

Hi Christian

Many thanks for looking at this so quickly. It really is appreciated as the site is due to launch at the weekend!

I have done as you suggested and disabled all plugins apart from Elementor and EPro and all the Toolset plugins and have changed the theme to TwentySeventeen. I've logged in as a member and am having the same problem.

Yes, absolutely fine for you to install Duplicator and set up a local version. Naturally you'll need to delete it afterwards but I know that's the case anyway.

Thanks again

Jon

Okay thank you, I've made a clone and replicated the issue on my local clone. Unfortunately I'm not able to replicate the problem on a fresh site, so this appears to be an exception. I am escalating this to my 2nd tier support team for further investigation. I can't guarantee we will have a solution for you by this weekend. I am off Fridays and Saturdays but will return Sunday to follow up.

Hi Christian

Thanks again for looking into this. I'm kind of glad you've been able to replicate it locally but it's a shame you can't replicate it on a fresh site.

One thing I've noticed, though. The data was populated using the WP All Import plugin and seemed to be completely successful. However, if I create a new user and then create a record in the 'members' CPT for that user, they can then log in and update their details fine. It's when any of the imported users tries to that the problem happens.

I've also created a form so an admin (with Editor privileges) can edit member details and they can update newly created records but not imported ones.

I've looked and looked at all the data and just cannot see why there would be a difference but this does seem to be related to the problem.

I'm hoping this is helpful and might steer you in the right direction.

Thanks again.

Jon

Hi Christian

I hope you had a good weekend.

Elementor released an update yesterday and it looks like it's fixed the issue. Could you check the local copy you have created and confirm that's the case? I looked in the changelog and it wasn't clear enough to make me sure that's the case but I'm wondering what else might have caused it.

Many thanks

Jon

Okay yes, I installed the update and the problem seems to be resolved for me as well. There was some communication between our teams over the last few days and it appears the issue was resolved.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.