Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Forgot Password Form : Redirect to this URL on success not working.

This support ticket is created 7 years, 8 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices.

Last updated by Luo Yang 7 years, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Luo Yang.

Author

In the "Forgot password form" dialog, there's a field that allows you to specify the redirect URL that will display for the user after he inputs his email for password retrieval.

However, no matter what URL I put there, it will always redirect me to a default WP login page.

By the way, I'm using the tutorial site hidden link for this.

Dear ivan,

Thanks for the details, I can duplicate same problem, and put it into our to-do list, our developers will take care of it.

Hey there, I have another issue with the password reset pages:

hidden link

When you enter the password, it will lead to an unknown page (lost-password) which I haven't created nor put as redirect URL. And it also won't send an email.

Any news on this? When will this be fixed?

Here's another clue:

When you install WooCommerce, it actually changes the default lost password page to "/lost-password", instead of the default "/wp-login.php?action=lostpassword".

Take that into the account when fixing this issue.

Amir
Supporter

Sorry for being slow. We tested this again locally and it works as expected for us. We have full access to Discover-wp.com (which is our system), so we'll check your site there and see what's wrong. We'll report back here very shortly.

Hey Amir, thanks for looking into this.

The issue doesn't just appear on the discover-wp site: it's also the case with the hidden link. I've temporarily disabled that option, and reverted back to the original WP password retrieval system.

All of the sites where I'm having issues run on PHP7. Maybe that's a clue.

Amir
Supporter

Thanks. Our code relies on some constants that are different in Multisite (and we'll fix). I have a feeling that these constants are also not set the same in WPEngine. There's very little chance that it's related to PHP7. We're doing all our development and testing on PHP7 (works x2 faster).

Would you be able to share login details to your staging site on WPEngine? We'll add debug output there and can see what's different.

Hey Amir, sure. Here are the credentials:

I've set the WP_DEBUG mode on.

Thanks for your support, I really appreciate it.

You can ignore the " bbp_setup_current_user was called incorrectly" notice. It's a bbpress issue that hasn't been resloved for ages. It's harmless, though.

Amit Kvint
Supporter

Hi,

My name is Amit, I am Toolset support manager, sorry to jump in but I have taken off your credentials from the reply there, the forum is public and I thought it's not a good idea to leave those there.

I have set the next reply to be private - please add there any information you might think would be helpful,

Thanks!

1.jpg

Thanks for the details, I tested it in your website:
1) Create a test user "test":
hidden link
2) open URL:
hidden link
fill my email, click submit button, I see below error:
ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE
See screenshot 1.jpg

The error message is different from what you mentioned in the first post:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/forgot-password-form-redirect-to-this-url-on-success-not-working/#post-429381
it will always redirect me to a default WP login page.

And there should be some PHP errors occur in your website, since there are 26 activated plugins + 3 must-used plugins + 1 Drop-ins plugin + custom theme file in your website, we need to check these:
1) If there is any compatibility problem, please deactivate other plugins and switch to wordpress default theme, and test again

2) If there is any PHP error occurs in your website:
Enable PHP debug mode, copy and paste the debug logs here
PHP Debugging
In case you think that Types or Views are doing something wrong (what we call a bug), you should enable PHP error logging. Again, edit your wp-config.php file and add the following:

ini_set('log_errors',TRUE);
ini_set('error_reporting', E_ALL);
ini_set('error_log', dirname(__FILE__) . '/error_log.txt');
This will produce a file called ‘error_log.txt’ in your WordPress root directory. Make sure that the web server can create and write this file. If it cannot, use an FTP program to create the file and make it writable to Apache (normally, user www-data).
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/debugging-types-and-views/

Juan
Supporter

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hi Ivan

Thanks for the feedback. This is Juan, lead Views developer.

We think we know what is causing this issue here and we are a little embarrased because we did not detect this earlier.

When working with redirects, we are defaulting to use the WordPress provided methods, which tend to work fine. But they have a restriction: you an only redirect to pages that belong to the currnt site domain. Because of that, redirecting to other sites, and even to subdomains for the current domain, might be broken, even if you add te shortcodes to a site that is indeed in a subdomain.

We are addressing this by doing two things:
- First, we will add a setting to let those password management shortcodes redirect safely to subdomains of the current site domain.
- Second, we will add a way to whitelist domains that you want to redirect to.

We have a developer working in this already, so we should have a working version for this soon. We will update you with a working patch as soon as we have it, and the fixed feature will also get included in our next release.

Hope it helps.

It is in to-do list of Views 2.3, our developers are working on it, I am not sure when will it be released, and you can subscribe to our blog to get the updated news:
https://toolset.com/blog/

The Views plugin version 2.3 has been released, please test it, and feedback if the problem is fixed. you can download it here:
https://toolset.com/account/downloads/

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.