Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Filters get resetted only after second click

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
Views filter controls does not update perfectly when we want them to work in a related fashion, like:
- First level parent filter - Categories (radios)
- Second level child filter - Sub-Categories (checkboxes)

Whereas we need to keep parent filters always visible and child filters only appear when we select parent one and should automatically reset as we deselect child filters.

OR setup search Filters by hierarchical taxonomy, or changing taxonomy filters based on selection.

Solution:
Currently it is required to press “Reset” button every time, when 2nd level filtration is done on the results. Relation based advanced filtering is not available for parent-child taxonomies or posts (for the description in the above example) .We have submitted this as a feature request to our development team which is under consideration.

Related: https://toolset.com/forums/topic/filter-with-sub-categories/

This support ticket is created 6 years, 9 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 -
- 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 19 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by katjaL 6 years, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Noman.

Author

Hi Noman, thank you for checking. I have already discussed the second feature before here:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/filters-change-background-of-selectedchecked/

But then the response was bluntly "there isn't such a built-in feature within Views plugin" - which I see, but I do think it's a pretty basic feature that should be implemented. It's the only way you can visually show which filter is selected, if you don't want to show the old fashioned traditional form inputs.

How should I proceed, is this thread enough for the feature request or should I still open another?

Noman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Luo suggested custom JS and CSS approach. But yes I agree with you about this feature to have built-in the Views. So yes, please submit this as feature request in a new ticket so we can keep it all organized for each feature request. In the new thread please add links to both these posts where you have already discussed on same thing so it will go straight as a feature request.

You can assign the new ticket directly to me or just share the link here once you have it. Thank you for your cooperation and feedback.

I tried also completely without taxonomy filter so that there is two custom fields filters. Same result, all the "subcategories" are there when the main category is not chosen. And other main categorys disappear when subcategory is chosen. In this scenario it's quite understandable since these fields are not connected to each other with any hierarchy.

Is there a way to create any hierarchy on custom fields? I found none.

Noman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Is there a way to create any hierarchy on custom fields? I found none.
-- No, I don’t think wordpress offers this either.

The problems with filtering behaviour we are seeing is basically the way Views handle filters, so I think we would have to wait for the most complete feature and see what development team thinks about this, as I have a already submitted feature request for it.

Ok, thank you Noman for your efforts. I guess this issue can be closed.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.