Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Filtering View Based on Relationship with Two Parents

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I would like to filter a View using two one-to-many relationships, but I am only able to add one relationship filter using the GUI. I would like to be able to pass both parent post filter values into the View using shortcode attributes.

Solution: Use the wpv_filter_query API to apply multiple toolset relationships filters, and use any arbitrary shortcode attributes to pass values into the View.

add_filter( 'wpv_filter_query', 'query_two_rels_by_shortcode_atts',99,3 );
function query_two_rels_by_shortcode_atts( $query_args, $views_settings, $view_id) {
  global $WP_Views;
  $view_ids = array( 498 );

if (in_array($view_id, $view_ids)){
    $shortcode_atts = array('childid'=>0, 'courseid'=>0);
    $viewSlug = get_post_field('post_name', $view_id);
    foreach($WP_Views->view_shortcode_attributes as $atts) {
      if($atts['name'] == $viewSlug) {
        $shortcode_atts = $atts;
        break;
      }
    }
    $child_id = $shortcode_atts['childid'];
    $course_id = $shortcode_atts['courseid'];
    $query_args['toolset_relationships'] = array(
      array(
        'role' => 'child',
        'related_to' => $child_id,
        'relationship' => 'household-child_household-enrollment',
      ),
      array(
        'role' => 'child',
        'related_to' => $course_id,
        'relationship' => 'household-course_household-enrollment',
      ),
    );
  }
  return $query_args;
}

Relevant Documentation:
https://toolset.com/documentation/customizing-sites-using-php/post-relationships-api/how-to-migrate-your-site-to-new-post-relationships/
https://toolset.com/documentation/programmer-reference/views-filters/#wpv_filter_query

This support ticket is created 5 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 15 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Beda 5 years, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

I need to filter a view to show any posts that have two parents - in this specific example it is one enrollment (the child) for every course and term combination (the parents). I thought this functionality was being added to the latest release of Views but it still seems to only allow filtering based on a single relationship. Can you tell me how to do this using the current release of Views? The link below was all I could find and it was for the previous release:

https://toolset.com/forums/topic/view-list-of-children-based-on-two-or-more-parents/

Thanks.

- Aaron

Hi, this functionality wasn't built into the GUI yet, but depending on the filter type you may be able to use the new Post Relationships API together with wpv_filter_query or wpv_filter_query_post_process. The toolset_get_related_post API can be used to determine if any post has a parent in a specific relationship:
https://toolset.com/documentation/customizing-sites-using-php/post-relationships-api/#toolset_get_related_post

You can combine that API with the Views filter wpv_filter_query_post_process to loop over the View results and drop any results without both parents.
https://toolset.com/documentation/programmer-reference/views-filters/#wpv_filter_query_post_process

Can you explain the filter a bit more? Are you testing if the Enrollment post has specific parents, or only if the Enrollment has parents in both post types? Is this a custom search View where the User can choose those filters, or are the filters predefined based on something else?

Hi Christian,

The view is nested inside another view, not that that matters, and I'd like it to have two filters on it:

1) in the household-child_household-enrollment relationship as related item of the post ID set by the shortcode attribute "childid"
2) in the household-course_household-enrollment relationship as related item of the post ID set by the shortcode attribute "courseid"

Right now I can only have one of the two. Does that help clarify? Thanks.

- Aaron

Okay yes, it's possible. Here's how I would set this up:
- Remove any post relationship Query Filters you may have applied to the View.
- Add the following code to functions.php:

function query_two_rels_by_shortcode_atts( $query_args, $views_settings, $view_id) {
  global $WP_Views;
  $view_ids = array( 12345 );

$shortcode_atts = $WP_Views->view_shortcode_attributes[0];
      array(
        'role' => 'child',
      ),
      array(
        'role' => 'child',
      ),
    );
  }
  return $query_args;
}

Replace 12345 with the numeric ID of this View.

Sorry, I have not yet had a chance to try this out since I was at an event all week launching the site. I'll take a look in the morning. Thanks.

- Aaron

Thanks for that. When running that code it throws the following two error messages:

PHP Notice: Undefined index: courseid in /home/aaronmckeon/public_html/wp-content/plugins/code-snippets/php/snippet-ops.php(352) : eval()'d code on line 13

Line 13: $course_id = $shortcode_atts['courseid'];

PHP Fatal error: Uncaught InvalidArgumentException: Invalid relationship query argument. in /home/aaronmckeon/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-views/vendor/toolset/toolset-common/inc/autoloaded/wp_query_adjustments/m2m.php:269

However, I can see here below that the courseid is indeed being passed to the view:

[wpv-layout-start]
	[wpv-items-found]
	<!-- wpv-loop-start -->
		<wpv-loop>
          	[wpv-view name="view-household-transcript-03-enrollments" courseid="[wpv-post-id]" childid="[wpv-attribute name="childid"]"]
		</wpv-loop>
	<!-- wpv-loop-end -->
	[/wpv-items-found]
	[wpv-no-items-found]<tr><td colspan="4">The student was not enrolled in any courses during this term.</td></tr>[/wpv-no-items-found]
[wpv-layout-end]

Okay let's confirm that the childid and courseid are what you expect in this context, and replace the nested double quotes with single quotes like this:

Child ID: [wpv-attribute name='childid']<br />
Course ID: [wpv-post-id]<br />
[wpv-view name="view-household-transcript-03-enrollments" courseid="[wpv-post-id]" childid="[wpv-attribute name='childid']"]

Thanks. Oddly enough, it was passing the courseid correctly but not the childid. I fixed that (now both attributes are passing correctly) and I get the following messages:

PHP Notice: Undefined index: courseid in /home/aaronmckeon/public_html/wp-content/plugins/code-snippets/php/snippet-ops.php(352) : eval()'d code on line 13

PHP Fatal error: Uncaught InvalidArgumentException: Invalid relationship query argument. in /home/aaronmckeon/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-views/vendor/toolset/toolset-common/inc/autoloaded/wp_query_adjustments/m2m.php:269

temp.jpg

Attaching screenshot - took the debug info down since the site is live now.

I'm still seeing nested double quotes around the childid attribute of the wpv-attribute shortcode here:
/wp-admin/admin.php?page=views-editor&view_id=497

[wpv-view name="view-household-transcript-03-enrollments" courseid="[wpv-post-id]" childid="[wpv-attribute name="childid"]"]

If you were testing with nested double quotes, please test with nested single quotes instead like this:

[wpv-view name="view-household-transcript-03-enrollments" courseid="[wpv-post-id]" childid="[wpv-attribute name='childid']"]

If this still does not work, please tell me how the View "view-household-transcript-01-terms" is added to the page, and where I would go to see it on the site. Perhaps there is a nested View configuration issue I am misunderstanding.

Still getting the same errors (pasted at bottom of message). To answer your question on how the nesting works, along with passing of attributes:

1) "view-household-transcript-01-terms" is added to the page via "layout-household-transcripts" using the following code:

<p>[wpv-view name="view-household-transcript-01-terms" householdid="[be_get_parent_id postid='[wpv-post-id item="@household-child_household-transcript.parent"]' parent='household']" childid="[wpv-post-id item="@household-child_household-transcript.parent"]" startdate="[types field='household-transcript-start-date' output='raw'][/types]" enddate="[types field='household-transcript-end-date' output='raw'][/types]"]</p>

For reference, [be_get_parent_id] functions as follows:

function be_get_parent_id($atts){

//Get current post object and ID
    global $post;
    $post_id_current = $post->ID;

$a = shortcode_atts( array(
	  	'postid' => $post_id_current,
        'parent' => '',
    ), $atts );

//get post type
	$post_id_current = $a['postid'];
  	$post_type_current = get_post_type($post_id_current);

//The Post relationship slug to check - NOTE THE NEW SYNTAX WITH - HERE
    $relationship_to_query = $a['parent']."-".$post_type_current;

//Set the role the other post type has:
    $role = "parent";

//Get related posts with new API, if none, it'll return 0, if any, the ID (hence not 0)
    // try legacy method
    $related_post = toolset_get_related_post( $post_id_current, array($a['parent'], $post_type_current), $role);
    if (! $related_post ){
        $related_post = toolset_get_related_post( $post_id_current, $relationship_to_query, $role);
    }
    return $related_post;

}

2) "View-Household-Transcript-02-Courses" is added as follows:

[wpv-view name="view-household-transcript-02-courses" termid="[wpv-post-id]" childid="[wpv-attribute name="childid"]"]

3) "view-household-transcript-03-enrollments" is added as follows:

PHP Notice: Undefined index: courseid in .../public_html/wp-content/plugins/code-snippets/php/snippet-ops.php(352) : eval()'d code on line 13

PHP Fatal error: Uncaught InvalidArgumentException: Invalid relationship query argument. in .../public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-views/vendor/toolset/toolset-common/inc/autoloaded/wp_query_adjustments/m2m.php:269

Stack trace:
#0 /home/aaronmckeon/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-views/vendor/toolset/toolset-common/inc/autoloaded/wp_query_adjustments/m2m.php(131): Toolset_Wp_Query_Adjustments_M2m->get_post(Array)
#1 /home/aaronmckeon/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-views/vendor/toolset/toolset-common/inc/autoloaded/wp_query_adjustments/m2m.php(116): Toolset_Wp_Query_Adjustments_M2m->add_single_relationship_query_where_clause(Array, Object(WP_Query))
#2 /home/aaronmckeon/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-views/vendor/toolset/toolset-common/inc/autoloaded/wp_query_adjustments/m2m.php(81): Toolset_Wp_Query_Adjustments_M2m->add_relationship_query_where(' AND wpsv_posts...', Array, Object(WP_Query))
#3 /home/aaronmckeon/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(286): Toolset_Wp_Query_Adjustments_M2m->posts_where(' in /home/aaronmckeon/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-views/vendor/toolset/toolset-common/inc/autoloaded/wp_query_adjustments/m2m.php on line 269

PS - Just updated the quotes around childid in view 02 to single quotes with no effect.

Okay yes, there some nesting I wasn't fully grasping. Here is an update that will fix the missing courseid error:

global $WP_Views;
  $view_ids = array( 498 );

$shortcode_atts = array('childid'=>0, 'courseid'=>0);
	$viewSlug = get_post_field('post_name', $view_id);
	foreach($WP_Views->view_shortcode_attributes as $atts) {
	  if($atts['name'] == $viewSlug) {
		$shortcode_atts = $atts;
		break;
	  }
	}
      array(
        'role' => 'child',
      ),
      array(
        'role' => 'child',
      ),
    );
  }
  return $query_args;
}

However, I'm running into a bug now, where hard-coded database prefixes are causing failures in some relationship queries:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/new-wp_query-toolset_relationships-argument-is-not-returning-results/#post-914586

Our developers have a hotfix planned for this in Types 3.0.2, tentatively planned for tomorrow, so I'm marking this ticket as "fixed in next release."

Hi, please find Types 3.0.2 available for download or automatic update. Install the latest version and apply the code I mentioned in the last reply, then let me know if the problem is not fully resolved.

Hi Christian,

I checked to make sure I have the most recent version and I re-ran the view with that code activated and no more error message is being thrown. Thanks for the help.

- Aaron

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.