Skip Navigation

[Resolved] filter post relationship dropdown by taxonomy

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
filter post relationship dropdown by taxonomy

Solution:
You need to use "pre_get_posts" action filter to filter the parent posts that is displayed using the parent field on toolset form.

You can find the proposed solution, in this case with the following reply:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/filter-post-relationship-dropdown-by-taxonomy/#post-1220408

Relevant Documentation:

100% of people find this useful.

This support ticket is created 5 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Mukesh 5 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Minesh.

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I have a post form for a CPT Referral where I've added a dropdown for a post-relationship (post reference for another CPT called Clinics) field. The Clinics CPT has a taxonomy field where a Clinic can be a medical clinic or a chiropractor clinic. On the Referral Post form, the dropdown shows all the values/posts I've created for Clinics but I would like to filter that dropdown options by the taxonomy.

Is there any documentation that you are following?
I saw this post: https://toolset.com/forums/topic/filtering-options-by-taxonomy-when-setting-up-post-relationships/
where the customer had same request. Then I researched and found a API Filter cred_filter_field_before_add_to_form and I am wondering if that filter can be used to add my own dropdown options? Can you please provide some guidance?
Is there a similar example that we can see?
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/filtering-options-by-taxonomy-when-setting-up-post-relationships/
What is the link to your site?

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

Well - as such there is no such feature exists to filter the post-relationship drop-down with taxonomy.

You should try to use the workaround shared by the Luo with the following reply:
=> https://toolset.com/forums/topic/filtering-options-by-taxonomy-when-setting-up-post-relationships/#post-915669

In addition to this, I think this is a useful feature, please feel free to submit the feature request using the following link:
=> https://toolset.com/home/contact-us/suggest-a-new-feature-for-toolset/

Thanks Minesh. The problem I see with the solution by Luo is that I already have a this application in production and there are thousands of referrals already made with the post-relationship dropdown, so changing to a generic field will cause problems.

So the hook 'cred_filter_field_before_add_to_form' can't be used to modify the dropdown options before displaying?

Minesh
Supporter

Well - what if you try to add the following code and check if that help you to resolve your issue.

function filter_container_archive( $query ){
 global $post;
 if (defined('DOING_AJAX') && DOING_AJAX && $post->ID==9999) { 

if($_REQUEST['action']=='select2_potential_relationship_parents'){

if($query->query['post_type'][0]=='student'){
			 $taxquery = array(   array(
                                 'taxonomy' => 'employee-department',
                                 'field' => 'slug',
                                'terms' => array('dept-account'),
                                'operator'=> 'IN' ));

$query->set( 'tax_query', $taxquery );

}

}

}

}
add_action( 'pre_get_posts', 'filter_container_archive', 101, 1 );

Where:
- Replace 9999 with the post/page ID where you added the form
- Replace student with your parent post type slug
- Replace employee-department with your taxonomy slug
- Replace dept-account with your taxonomy term slug

I hope above code will help you to resolve your issue.

Hi Minesh,

This code worked nicely. I had to refactor a little to fit my exact scenario for example on my Form I have two dropdowns; one showing filter list by one term and another filtering by another term of the same taxonomy. So in addition to checking for $_REQUEST['action'] I also check if the $_REQUEST['slug'] is also present with the value the field slug. And I add the relevant term to the $taxquery. I also had to check if the $post was an object because on loading of the form, there were multiple calls to the backend via ajax and some didn't have the $post. Not sure if that is just my specific situation. Other than that rest of the code worked fine.
Thanks again for a quick and valuable solution!

Minesh
Supporter

I am really glad to help and thank you for your confirmation that solution I shared help you to resolve your issue.

Please resole this ticket and feel free to share final solution here that may help other users searching on the forum.

My issue is resolved now. Thank you! Here is the code I used which was a slight modification to Minesh, just so it fit my example:

function filter_container_archive( $query ){
    global $post;
   $post_id=default_value; //on occasion the $post will be null and so we can set a default value
//check if the $post is not empty and is an Object
    if ( !empty($post) && is_a($post, 'WP_Post') ) {
        $post_id=$post->ID;
    }
    if (defined('DOING_AJAX') && DOING_AJAX && $post_id==20) { 
       //check for the action & slug to focus in on a specific dropdown if you have multiple dropdown in the form
       if($_REQUEST['action']=='select2_potential_relationship_parents' && $_REQUEST['slug']=='slug_of_field'){
            if($query->query['post_type'][0]=='post_type_of_parent'){
                 $taxquery = array(   array(
                                     'taxonomy' => 'taxonomy',
                                     'field' => 'slug',
                                    'terms' => array('taxonomy_term_value'),
                                    'operator'=> 'IN' ));
                $query->set( 'tax_query', $taxquery );
            }
        }       
    }

}
   add_action( 'pre_get_posts', 'filter_container_archive', 101, 1 );
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.