Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Filter Inputs Reload Filter Area Whenever a User Makes a Selection(s)

This support ticket is created 4 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 19 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by zacharyL 4 years, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

I am trying to: have multiple filter inputs for a e-commerce storefront.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to be able to select multiple filter inputs before selecting "Submit" to have the view results update, however selecting even just a single filter input reloads the filter area. If I select multiple inputs at a time, the ones I selected after the first one get removed, and then get added in again.

This gets especially problematic on mobile where I have the filters in a container that needs a jQuery trigger event to open up. The filter area gets reloaded, and closes up the container, forcing the user to select the sandwich icon to open up the filters again.

You can view a demonstration of the problem here: hidden link

This is a huge UX issue, even on desktop, where having user inputs disappear, then appear again makes for confusing operation. I've experienced this on multiple sites where we use checkboxes to allow users to select multiple filters at a time.

This occurs when the "Custom Search Settings" are set to either of the following:

• Full page refresh when visitors click on the search button

or

• Let me choose individual settings manually
    • Update the View results only when clicking on the search button
      • Reload the page to update the View results
    • Show only available options for each input (all input types are set to Hide)

Oddly, it doesn't do it when the "Always show all values for inputs" option is selected, but this gives me undesired results, as I'm not using all the product categories at this time.

Any help in the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Zachary,

Thank you for getting in touch.

"Always show all values for inputs"

This is exactly why you are getting the values refreshed, because you don't have that option enabled. What happens is that your filters are always re-adjusting to ensure that your view will always return a result.

So if a filter is selected it will do a short query to check if the other filters will return a result while your first filter is selected. If the filter doesn't return a result it will be hidden or disabled based on your settings.

Please let me know if this clears it up for you.

Thanks,
Shane

This still doesn't address the wonky UX. If it has to refresh itself every time a user selects an input, the operation then flies in contradiction to the statement "Update the View results only when clicking the search button", especially with the "Reload the page to update View results" option selected.

Regardless of the wording used, it's confusing operation if a user selects multiple filter inputs at a time, then those selected inputs disappear and reappear again. The recalculating should only have to happen if the user selects the submit button. No other values should change until that occurs.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Zachary,

This is not necessarily contradicting as the option "Update the View results " is different as this only affects the results.

The filters operate independently of this as the filter A, Filter B and Filter C will be dependent on each other.

So if the user selects an option From Filter A then the items from filter B and C will then re-adjust so that If you select an option in Filter B or C it will always return a result based on the option of Filter A.

This is all done even before the user clicks on the search button. If it wasn't done like then this then the user will be able to search the view and it can result in selection options that will return no results for the form.

This refresh is more obvious because of the usage of checkboxes. Normally you will see the checkboxes that won't return a result disappear given what you've chosen on the other filters as they are data dependent.

Please let me know if I have clarified this issue for you.

Thanks,
Shane

Then why have checkboxes if the filters are going to operate like this anyway? I understood your original explanation, however as I stated in my response, it does not address the wonky user experience.

Toolset has these settings that support checkboxes as filter inputs, implying that it's expected that a user will select multiple inputs in tandem, and other settings that state that the results won't update until the user selects the Submit button. Then it was decided that it was acceptable behavior to have the filter area reset every time a user selects a single filter input. This operation is not instantaneous. You can literally see the selected inputs disappear, with at least a one second delay, then reappear slowly after that.

I get that it was developed like this, but I'm saying that I'm not satisfied with this existing operation. Is there a workaround that I can use besides configuring the setting to "Always show all values for inputs"? The reason I don't want this setting is that I have product categories, that have no products, which should not be visible in the filter area. The clients have the intention of eventually using these categories, but until then I need them hidden. I'm not going to resort to CSS to artificially remove them from the flow, when I shouldn't have to, especially when the client could add products at any time.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Zachary,

I can really say that in your case that this is not the expected outcome, I was explaining what would happen normally.

However in your case the options should not get deselected and re-selected. Its clear that somethings is amiss with this.

Would you mind providing me with admin access to the site so that I can check on the filters to see what is happening here ?

The private fields have been enabled for your next response.

Thanks,
Shane

Shane
Supporter

Hi Zachary,

I think its safer if I do my investigation on a copy of the site ?

Would you mind if I grabbed a duplicator copy for testing here?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Shane

Yes, of course. This reply will have to be privated though:

Shane
Supporter

Hi Zachary,

Thank you I will let you know what I find as soon as I restore this backup.

Thanks,
Shane

Shane
Supporter

Hi Zachary,

I must apologize for the delay in response.

However when I took a look at this locally and disabled all the non-toolset plugins the page worked fine and the filters weren't disappearing and reappearing selected.

Could you temporarily disable the non-toolset plugins on your end and try this to let me know what the result is for you ?

Thanks,
Shane

I made a copy on hidden link, and I'm still getting the same results, even after disabling everything but the Toolset plugins and WooCommerce.

Different server, too.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Zachary,

Thank you, I'm currently running some more tests on the copy I have to see if I can identify a bug to notify our 2nd tier supporters.

Thanks you for your patience

Shane
Supporter

Hi Zachary,

So I've identified the issue. It has to do with the archive and the view being on an archive page.

I've escalated this issue to our 2nd tier supporters further debugging.

I will let you know any information on this one I get any.

Thanks,
Shane

Ok, very good.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Zachary,

Sorry for the delay here.

However I have gotten a response from our 2nd tier supporters and it is as I suspected. This is because of the dependency on the filters.

SO each filter is dependent on what is previously selected and if the user selects quite a number of filters in quick succession then you will get this deselecting and reselecting.

This is because the filters are data dependent on each other so once you select the first filter then a short query is ran to ensure that the other filters will produce a result. This is why you see the items being deselected.

I know that this could use some improvement but as they say it is an expected behaviour of the filters when you are using the setting to hide filters that won't produce any results.

Thanks,
Shane

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.