Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Filter custom post with a taxonomy filter

This support ticket is created 3 years, 7 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Timothy 3 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Minesh.

Author

I have a cpt called Faculty Members with 2 taxonomies "Leadership Category" and "Faculty Category". I created a View that displays the Faculty, but I want to only display the Faculty members that are in a Faculty Category not a Leadership Category, and have the front-end filters only show the Categories from the Faculty Category. I currently have the View embedded here:

hidden link

Everything works except on initial page load it displays all faculty members even if they are in a Leadership Category and not in any Faculty Category. So it appears the All initial filter does not actually filter according to the Taxonomy filter "Faculty Category" that I have the filter set to.

[wpv-control-post-taxonomy taxonomy="faculty-category" type="radios" default_label="All " url_param="wpv-faculty-category"]

Tim

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

Yes - By default, view displays all results.

Do you mean that when view load the first time - you only want to displays the posts which belongs to category "Faculty Category".

If this is true- we need to add a query filter to pre-filter the view results.

If you can share access details, I am happy to share the filter.

*** Please make a FULL BACKUP of your database and website.***
I would also eventually need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to your site. Preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible in order to be of better help and check if some configurations might need to be changed.

I have set the next reply to private which means only you and I have access to it.

Yes, when view load the first time I only want to displays the posts which belongs to category "Faculty Category". Can you just let me know where/how to add that query filter and I can do it myself.

Thanks,

Tim

Minesh
Supporter

You can use the view's filter hook - wpv_filter_query

Where:
- you should try to get all the posts IDs attached to taxonomy "Faculty Category" and use the post__in query argument and assign the found IDs.

For example:
- Add the following code to "Custom Code" section offered by Toolset
=> https://toolset.com/documentation/adding-custom-code/using-toolset-to-add-custom-code/
or
- to the functions.php file of your theme.

add_filter( 'wpv_filter_query', 'func_remove_unwanted_category_posts', 99, 3 );
function func_remove_unwanted_category_posts( $query_args, $view_settings, $views_id  ) {

if ( $views_id == 9999 and  !isset($_GET['wpv-faculty-category']) ) {  

/// YOUR CODE GOES HERE
                    $found_post_ids =    get the  post IDs belongs to  "Faculty Category";

$query_args['post__in'] =  $found_post_ids;
    }
    return $query_args;
}

Where:
- Replace 9999 with your original view ID and adjust the code accordingly

More info:
=> https://toolset.com/documentation/programmer-reference/views-filters/#wpv_filter_query

If you do not know how to do it, please let me know.

I cannot get this to work, I also tried the solution here but that too does not seem to work:

https://toolset.com/forums/topic/display-all-posts-from-1-taxonomy/#post-1227954

Tim

Minesh
Supporter

Can you please share access details so I can login to your system and check whats going wrong or adjust the code accordingly.

*** Please make a FULL BACKUP of your database and website.***
I would also eventually need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to your site. Preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible in order to be of better help and check if some configurations might need to be changed.

I have set the next reply to private which means only you and I have access to it.

Minesh
Supporter

Can you please check now: hidden link

I've added the following code to "Custom Code" section offered by Toolsest:
=> hidden link

add_filter( 'wpv_filter_query', 'func_prefilter_post_taxonomy', 99, 3 );
function func_prefilter_post_taxonomy( $query_args, $view_settings, $view_id ) {

$display_view_ids = array(815);

if (in_array($view_id,$display_view_ids) and empty($query_args['tax_query']) ){

$query_args['tax_query'] = array(array(
                    'taxonomy'=> 'leadership-category',
                    'field' => 'id',
                    'terms' => array(49,50,51),
                    'operator' => 'NOT IN',
                    'include_children' => 1
                ));

}
    return $query_args;
}

More info:
=> https://toolset.com/documentation/adding-custom-code/using-toolset-to-add-custom-code/

Can you please confirm it works as expected now.

Minesh
Supporter

Can you please confirm the solution I shared help you to resolve your issue.

Hi Minesh,

This sort of works. It does exclude people who are in the Leadership taxonomy from appearing in "All". But if a Faculty Member is in a Faculty taxonomy AND a Leadership taxonomy then they too are excluded from "All". So for example if you click Music History you will see "Neal" as he is in Faculty > Music History. But because he is also in the Leadership taxonomy he does not appear in 'All" and he should.

Is there a way around this?

Tim

Minesh
Supporter

Can you please check now: hidden link

i've adjusted the "wpv_filter_query" hook code as given under at "Custom Code" section of Toolset:
=> hidden link

add_filter( 'wpv_filter_query', 'func_prefilter_post_taxonomy', 99, 3 );
function func_prefilter_post_taxonomy( $query_args, $view_settings, $view_id ) {

$display_view_ids = array(815);

if (in_array($view_id,$display_view_ids) and empty($query_args['tax_query']) ){

$query_args['tax_query'] = array(
         			'relation' => 'OR',
         			array(
                    'taxonomy'=> 'faculty-category',
                     'operator' => 'EXISTS',
                   ),
         			array(
                    'taxonomy'=> 'leadership-category',
                    'field' => 'id',
                    'terms' => array(49,50,51),
                    'operator' => 'NOT IN',
                    'include_children' => 1
                )
       );

}
    return $query_args;
}

Can you please confirm now it works as expected.

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.