Skip Navigation

[Resolved] file upload through form is using media gallery

This support ticket is created 4 years, 3 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Nigel 4 years, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

I have two websites that both have forms that allow my students to upload documents.

On one of the sites, writingmusicaltheatre.com, the upload through the form is still working as it always has - they choose to upload, and are able to select a file from their own computer, and then it uploads.

On my other site - nmi.org - it USED to work that same way - but in the last few months it has changed and instead of just a straight upload - it takes them to the media gallery and has them upload to there first. I did not want my students to have access to the media gallery - but I'm not sure how to stop that.

I thought that both sites were completely up-to-date with all plugins, but I just checked and it seems they are not. Even though my writingmusicaltheatre.com doesn't say it needs updating - it seems to be older than the nmi.org site.

Here are the versions of the plugins that I currently have:

NMI - hidden link (the one that is recently NOT behaving the way I like because it is accessing Media Gallery)
Toolset Forms 2.5.3
Toolset Types 3.3.7
Toolset Views 2.9.4
Toolset Forms Commerce 1.8.1
Toolset Access 2.8.2

WMT - hidden link (the one that is NOT accessing Media Gallery)
Toolset Forms 2.3
Toolset Types 3.2.5
Toolset Views 2.7.3
Toolset Forms Commerce 1.8.1
Toolset Access 2.6.1

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

Hi Elise

If you are not seeing update notifications on one of your sites, when you click the "registered" link on any of the Toolset plugins which takes you to the custom installer page, try using the "Check for Updates" button to force contacting our servers, that should bring up update notices.

As for the issue with forms itself, the mechanism for uploading media was updated since Forms 2.3 (the older version you have), following requests over a long period from clients who wanted to use the WP Media Uploader.

You can disable it in the form settings. Edit your forms and you should see an option "Use the WordPress Media Library manager for image, video, audio, or file fields" which you can deselect.

Thanks - that definitely fixed it - although it is disconcerting that the update just automatically made that option enabled for ALL of my existing forms - which means I now have to go into the forms one-by-one to undo that option.

I wish that hadn't happened automatically! Makes me concerned about doing the update on my other site, because then the same thing is going to happen there.

Nigel
Supporter

The previous behaviour with media uploads was to upload them via ajax before the form was submitted, and the new media uploader setting does the same, while disabling it will mean the media being submitted at the same time as the form, which is different, and I think the reason the setting is the way it is.

Unless your users have a role which is granted full access to media uploaded by others, they should only see their own content in the media library with this setting.

Yes - I know they only see their own media gallery content - but I don't want them to see ALL of their content. They are using a form to upload for a specific task only - so I want to keep it simpler for them. They seem to be really easily confused and can't deal with clicking to choose a file, then waiting til it populates in the media gallery, then choosing to insert it into the form, and then submitting the form - it's more than they seem to be able to handle!

Nigel
Supporter

Understood, but in that case you will need to edit the forms in question to disable the media uploader in the settings.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.