Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Fatal Error on theme deactivation with site that is using Views

This support ticket is created 6 years, 5 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Mohammed 6 years, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Minesh.

Author

When I tried to update the main theme I first renamed the old theme folder by FTP. Then I uploaded a new zip.

At this time I had WordPress set for using a child theme of this theme. In the child theme I am loading views via php.

As soon as the main theme is deactivated I get a fatal error and can't even access the admin. The error message is below and it's coming from Views. Once I renamed the Views plugin folder via FTP to deactivate it the site loads fine.

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to a member function get() on boolean in /dom24436/wp-content/plugins/wp-views/vendor/toolset/toolset-theme-settings/compatibility-loader/toolset.layouts-themes-factory.class.php:31 Stack trace: #0 /dom24436/wp-content/plugins/wp-views/vendor/toolset/toolset-theme-settings/compatibility-loader/toolset.layouts-themes-factory.class.php(19): Toolset_Compatibility_Theme_Handler_Factory->set_up_active_theme() #1 /dom24436/wp-content/plugins/wp-views/vendor/toolset/toolset-theme-settings/compatibility-loader/toolset.compatibility.loader.class.php(83): Toolset_Compatibility_Theme_Handler_Factory->__construct() #2 /dom24436/wp-content/plugins/wp-views/vendor/toolset/toolset-theme-settings/compatibility-loader/toolset.compatibility.loader.class.php(33): Toolset_Compatibility_Loader->run_theme_handler_factory() #3 /dom24436/wp-content/plugins/wp-views/vendor/toolset/toolset-theme-settings/compatibility-loader/toolset.compatibility.loader.class.php(14): Toolset_Compatibility_Loader->__construct(Obje in /dom24436/wp-content/plugins/wp-views/vendor/toolset/toolset-theme-settings/compatibility-loader/toolset.layouts-themes-factory.class.php on line 31

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

Well - it occures in general if the style.css in themes-folder has missing or bad heading-infos.

For example: ../generatepress_child/style.css

Theme Name:   GeneratePress Child
Theme URI:    <em><u>hidden link</u></em>
Description:  Default GeneratePress child theme
Author:       Tom Usborne
Author URI:   <em><u>hidden link</u></em>
Template:     generatepress
Version:      0.1

Could you please try to resolve your issue by adding proper information for your child theme.

Related Tickets that may help you:
=> https://toolset.com/forums/topic/site-broken-fatal-error-uncaught-error-call-to-a-member-function-get/
=> https://toolset.com/forums/topic/fatal-error-uncaught-error-call-to-a-member-function-get-on-boolean/#post-569358

This is a bad response. I explained exactly what happened. It wasn't because of things missing in the style sheet otherwise it would occur all the time.

It happened when I deactivated the main theme that the child theme was based on. The error was thrown by Views. Therefore there is a bug in Views that needs to be fixed.

It shouldn't crash your entire WordPress where you can't even access the WordPress admin just because of a style sheet issue.

I'm reporting a severe bug in Views that should be attended to.

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Well - I confirm with the Devs that the way you tried to update theme is not covered so I need to know which theme you were using?

If possible I need duplicator of your site that will help me to reproduce the issue and grab your theme files so I can debug further.
=> https://toolset.com/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

I have set the next reply to private which means only you and I have access to it.

No thanks, you can't get into my site.

Please fix this issue, no issue with a missing style sheet should cause Views to crash your entire WordPress install where you can't even deactivate Views unless you go in by FTP and rename the plugin folder.

Hi Farrel,

I'm Mohammed, the Toolset support team leader. At first, please accept our apologies if any inconvenience.

There are a lot of dependencies that would cause unexpected behavior even with these basic things like deactivating a theme.

Our responsibility here is to figure out the issue and fix it. This can' be achieved without your collaboration.

So, if you don't mn, you can provide Minesh the needed information so that he can start working on the issue.

Please post here again in case you needed to re-open this ticket so that we can check and fix the issue.

Thanks.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.