Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Extra tags above the email Template

This support ticket is created 3 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 3 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I'm Trying to send an email notification after submitting the User form. But I see extra tags above the email template when the user received the email on their inbox.

I created this template using hidden link, I already submitted a ticket to their support and here is their reply:
"Thanks for your response! It looks like we did receive your rendering tests this time around. I really appreciate you taking the time to send another copy.

Here's a link where you can review the results of the rendering test: hidden link

Just upon taking a look here, there are certainly some rendering issues happening. With these types of issues, I always generate a second rendering test by sending the same message from the BEE editor for comparison. Here's a link to the rendering test that I ran: hidden link

You can also preview the results of the forwarded message. However, email clients tend to make changes to the source code of messages when they are forwarded, so I didn't use these results in my investigation: hidden link

Earlier I mentioned that it sounded like Toolset might be performing some post-processing to the HTML for your message. These rendering tests allow me to view the source code used to render the message to confirm this. (You can also view this by using either of the links above. Simply select any of the available previews, and change the view to "Source Code Analysis".) Then, I run both versions of the code through a plain-text word processor to help me easily identify the differences.

When comparing the two HTML documents, I found that line-break tags and other HTML syntax had been introduced into the head of the HTML document. This code is out of place here, which is what's causing a large amount of space to populate when the message is sent through Toolset. In other cases with certain Outlook clients, the HTML tags render as text.

I did notice some other changes to the HTML in the body of the HTML documents, but these don't seem to be causing any significant rendering problems. With all of this in mind, I can say with certainty that Toolset is causing some post-processing changes to the HTML for your message.

When this happens, I do try and do some research into the sending platform to see if I can help point you in the right direction. My research, in this case, proved unsuccessful as most of the documentation I found was for landing pages as opposed to emails. As a result, I would recommend that you reach out to Toolset support to see if they can offer any workarounds to prevent this behavior.

I'm really sorry for any inconvenience, but I hope this clarifies things. Please let me know if you need any further information from me."

Is there a similar example that we can see?
hidden link
hidden link

What is the link to your site?
hidden link

Email Template Code
hidden link

Hi, one thing you can do right now is wrap the email notification body in a wpv-noautop shortcode like this:

[wpv-noautop]
... paste the template code here ...
[/wpv-noautop]

That will help strip out a considerable amount of extra paragraph and line break tags that have been injected into the email markup. However, in my local tests, this doesn't strip out all the paragraph tags. One is inserted at the beginning of the body markup, for example. Let me reach out to my 2nd tier support team to see if there is anything we can do to disable all the extra paragraph and line break tags injected in the body area. I'll let you know what I find out.

I inserted the shortcode [wpv-noautop] before the template code and [/wpv-noautop] at the end of code but still seeing the extra tags in email.

Okay I am still working on this and will let you know when I have some additional feedback. The initial feedback I received is that HTML email templates are not fully supported, though some HTML tags are supported. Some elements are being converted into paragraphs and line breaks. I'm trying to get more information, because it seems that we should be able to turn off all the extra formatting and tag insertion.

I've spoken to my 2nd tier support team about this, and they have contacted our developers who have acknowledged that HTML templates are not fully supported at this time. The output of the Forms notification email body is run through several filters that cannot be easily modified in the current software, and tags outside of the HTML bodyelement are not fully supported. This means that adding style tags and meta tags in the head element is not possible at this time, nor is adding a custom doctype declaration. When those elements are used, wrapper tags will be applied in unexpected ways around those elements, resulting in blank space added to your email nofitication. We have an internal ticket in place to overhaul email notifications to facilitate more custimization, but no delivery date has been assigned to this feature. If you'd like to see this type of email notification implemented, we recommend you submit your request to our management team here: https://toolset.com/home/contact-us/suggest-a-new-feature-for-toolset

This is too bad, I've seen a few other support topics around this so I'm guessing it would really be nice to add this functionality.

I added it to the Feature Request form.

Any workaround I might try?

Tim

You can try removing parts of the email template iteratively to see which parts are being replaced with empty tags, but that could have a negative impact on the design of your email template. Use this workaround at your own risk.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.