Skip Navigation

[Resolved] extra content appearing on archive

This support ticket is created 6 years, 9 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 25 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 6 years, 8 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

Okay I have figured out how to accomplish this. I added the following file to your BeTheme Child theme:

single-resource.php

This is a PHP file that your theme will use to display the single resource page. It is copied from your parent theme's single-attachment.php, which is used to display a single attachment page. This template removes the title and featured image that are applied by default to single post pages and allows you to define the full content area in Layouts. Now each single Resource page is displayed using the Layout defined for single Resources. If you want to use Layouts to define the full content area of other post types, you can copy this file and rename it to single-[post type slug].php

It is a good practice to use the child theme so custom files are not overwritten when you update the parent BeTheme. Therefore I have activated the Child theme. You should not see any differences from the parent theme, except the file I have added manually. If you maintain a local copy of site files, please download wp-content/themes/betheme-child/single-resource.php to your local file repository.

Please let me know if you have questions about this, or if I have misunderstood your request. I'll take a closer look.

Hi Christian,
Thanks! That template issue was doing my head in. But...

Darn. I sent you some feedback, but it's not showing here!
The form must not have submitted.
Darn! Darn! Darn!
Lost another night and day.

Okay, so here's my feedback. First off.

1. On the new archive page, there's still suprious stuff showing up on the bottom on your new archive page that's not part of the Toolset template. It's obviously being generated by the theme (BeTheme) and it's a duplication of the archive loops above it - just layed out as per the theme style.
Can we get rid of this duplicate loop?
There's also a little bit of random text above the Toolset layout that says

2. The filter view in the side column isn't filtering anything. It doesn't seem to work.
Can you try and get it going? I'm about spent trying and I don't want to break what's now working.

If you can attend to these two things I think this bit is largely working.
Then I could I get you to move onto the other page I was trying to set up for Vets & Vet Practices?
Cheers
Cam

Sorry, One more thing (in three parts) 😉

3. The breadcrumb at the top doesn't show correctly on the resource archive and the single item archive view too.

3.a And is it possible to show related resources below your single item view? And...

3.b is it possible to have a back to 'resource list' link/button on the single item view?

Okay, check it out now.
1. On the new archive page, there's still suprious stuff showing up on the bottom on your new archive page that's not part of the Toolset template.
I have added some CSS that will hide this portion of the theme's content. I was not able to figure out a way to remove it altogether with code - your theme is a bit confusing to me. But this approach should prevent it from showing up for your users.

2. The filter view in the side column isn't filtering anything. It doesn't seem to work.
Okay the reason this didn't work is that you were using a combination of a WordPress Archive and a View cell. There's no reason to include a View cell here - you should add filters to the WordPress Archive itself. This is what I have done, and I removed the View cell from the Layout. I also edited the Filter and Loop integration area in the WordPress Archive editor to show your results and the filters in separate columns, which I think was your intention based on the original Layout design.

3. The breadcrumb at the top doesn't show correctly on the resource archive and the single item archive view too.
I'm working on this now and I'll update you soon.

New issues
Please open separate tickets for these so we can address them individually, thanks!

Then I could I get you to move onto the other page I was trying to set up for Vets & Vet Practices?
Of course, please create a new ticket for each issue you would like addressed, related to this page. If you want to assign them directly to me, here are the steps to follow:
1. Mark this ticket as resolved.
2. If you choose to give the supporter (me) the highest rating, the next ticket you create will allow you to send it directly to me. If you choose not to, that's fine, but the system will send your next ticket into the queue for all supporters.

3.a And is it possible to show related resources below your single item view?
It may be, but this is a separate issue I'd like to handle in a separate ticket. Please create a new ticket and describe exactly what you mean by "related resources". Are these resources that have the same tags? The same categories? Similar custom fields? Same author? Please go into detail about what you mean here, and describe the design you would like to use to display them.

3.b is it possible to have a back to 'resource list' link/button on the single item view?
Sure, you can add a link to the Resource Content Template here:
wp-admin/admin.php?page=ct-editor&ct_id=2488&action=edit
In the template editor, add a link using HTML like this:

<a href="/resource">Back to Resources</a>

Apply any styles or formatting you want to this tag.

It turns out that your theme does not provide a good way to insert breadcrumbs for custom post types. The breadcrumb function can be found in /wp-content/themes/betheme/functions/theme-functions.php around line 822. The different types of posts and pages are hard-coded here.

I am not able to access all of betheme's support forums because you have to be a paid member, but some research I did online led me here:
hidden link

It seems to indicate that the only way to do this is to change a file in the parent BeTheme, and I'm not comfortable doing this. If there is another method to register custom post types so that they will show up in breadcrumbs, I'm not able to find it. It may be helpful if you can reach out to the authors / supporters of BeTheme to see how they recommend adding a custom post type to breadcrumbs. Once you have some more information about that I can provide additional assistance if necessary, but I cannot modify parent theme files directly. Any updates to the theme would overwrite these changes. Let me know if you have questions about this.

Hey Christian that's awesome.
Pity re: the breadcrumb. I'll contact the BeTheme guys and see what's possible.
One other request;

1. On the mobile view, is it possible to have the filter appear at the top rather than the bottom as that doesn't make sense on a phone.

And to just clarify my understanding. When I set up the view for the search in relation to the archive, it didn't work as archive pages are self contained vs. A layout that contains a 'results view' and a 'search view'.

I will open a separate ticket for my other requests, but will it be 'you' who attends to it? It'd be easier to continue to keep working with the same person if possible.
Many thanks!
Cam

Sorry, one other thing in regard to this page.

2. I'd installed Relevanisi and it's ajax companion plugin to make the text field auto populate with suggestions as you type. It doesn't seem to work. Have I missed something?

And...

3. The text search doesn't seem to work.

2. I'd installed Relevanisi and it's ajax companion plugin to make the text field auto populate with suggestions as you type. It doesn't seem to work. Have I missed something?
Toolset isn't designed to work with an autosuggest feature. If this isn't working, you may wish to reach out to that plugin's developers. If you need more information about this, please open a new ticket.

3. The text search doesn't seem to work.
Again, this is not related to extra content appearing on the page, which is the only issue I can address here. Please open separate tickets for each issue.

Hi Christian,
Oh sorry, I was sure I saw that it was some where in the documentation.
I may be mistaken.
I'll open a new support request for my other issues.
C

And to just clarify my understanding. When I set up the view for the search in relation to the archive, it didn't work as archive pages are self contained vs. A layout that contains a 'results view' and a 'search view'.
To clarify, a View and a WordPress Archive are two different things, and are not related to each other on a page or Layout. You can't use the search filters from a View to update the results in a WP Archive. You must use the filters in the WP Archive.

A WP Archive typically 'lives' at one of the standard WordPress archive URLs. For example, hidden link or hidden link
Views, on the other hand, can be inserted at any URL controlled by WordPress. Either WP Archives or Views can include filters, which will affect the results shown. WP Archives filters and results cannot be split apart into separate Layout cells, unlike Views. If you want to split these elements apart in your site design, you must use HTML inside the Filter and Loop Integration area to put these parts of the display in separate areas of the page.

I will open a separate ticket for my other requests, but will it be 'you' who attends to it? It'd be easier to continue to keep working with the same person if possible.
It's possible to assign tickets directly to me if you follow the process I mentioned earlier in another comment:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/extra-content-appearing-on-archive/page/2/#post-553578

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.