Skip Navigation

[Resolved] extra content appearing on archive

This support ticket is created 6 years, 9 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 25 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 6 years, 8 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author
Screen Shot 2017-07-13 at 12.37.05 am.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-13 at 12.37.17 am.png

I am trying to: create a view and layout for an custom post type & archive page

I visited this URL: hidden link

I expected to see: my new view, with just my custom post archives

Instead, I got: extra content from a post at the top and a custom post at the bottom styled like the blog post styling that comes with my template.

Hi, can you share screenshots showing the Layout(s) you have created?

Please let me know how you have assigned Layout(s) - which Layout is assigned to the custom post type, and which Layout is assigned to the archive. This will help me understand what's happening a bit better.

Finally please include your debug information as described here: https://toolset.com/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

NOTE: Please be sure to check the box to indicate you can provide debug info and paste your debug info in the debug field provided, and NOT in the general response field.

Thank you!

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 2.11.56 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 2.08.47 PM.jpg

Hi Christian,
I've another issue now. When I switch on the layout plugin, my theme's editor gets all swished up like a tiny little column.
If I deactivate Layouts it returns to normal.
See screen shot attached.
How to fix?
Cheers
Cam

I see, this looks like a separate issue that I won't be able to address in a sentence or two. May I kindly ask you to open a separate ticket? We try to address a single issue per ticket to keep the forum organized. Thanks for your cooperation!

Was the initial problem resolved? If not, can you include screenshots of the Layouts and any information about how those Layouts are assigned to your content?

Hi Christian,
this original issue still persists.
I think it's my theme file (BeTheme). It doesn't appear to use an archive page, rather an index page.

So I've tried creating a new layout, view and templates, but this problem still persists even when I apply these items to a new page, rather than an archive.

I think I'll set up a project and describe what I'm trying to achieve and then maybe you can help me set it up? I can style all the outputs just fine with tags and CSS, but I'm just not getting it to display as I understand it should - in addition to the issue described above.
Does that sound like a good plan?

Sure we can try that, I will create a private reply area here so you can share login credentials with me. That way I can see what's going on in your admin area and advise you.

Sorry, forgot to mention for no.2 I also need a single view page for when you click on a search result for vets or practices... althought I'm sure you would've thought of that - can't have a search results page without a click through a results page!

1. create a custom archive page for my resource section. I want it to have a custom search panel on the righthand side (like a sidebar). I want a free text search field that searches my custom content field + a drop down to filter categories + radio buttons to filter on tags.
Okay I understand the concept here. I see in your Layout you have created a WordPress Archive cell and a sidebar View cell. This isn't going to work as expected, because a View's search fields cannot influence a WordPress Archive cell's results. You can't split the controls of a WordPress Archive into a separate cell, you must add the search controls and filters into the WordPress Archive.

In the WordPress Archive editor, click the "Screen Options" button in the top right corner to reveal all the options for this screen. Enable "Custom Search Settings" and "Filter Editor" here to display those panels in the screen. Then you can add your Text Search filter and your Categories and Tags filters in the Filter Editor. More information about WordPress Archives here: https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/normal-vs-archive-views/

If you want the controls to appear in a sidebar-style layout, I can help you create that within this WordPress Archive once you get the search functionality working how you intend it to work. Let's get that functionality in place first, then we can focus on design.

I was trying to create a single page layout/view of that's used for each resource when you click on one from the list above.
I also need a single view page for when you click on a search result for vets or practices.
Creating a Layout for a custom post type is described in great detail in the user guides here:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/#layouts
If you need assistance with a specific part of the Layout development process, feel free to open a ticket and we can offer some guidance.

2. I also want to create another custom archive page for my vets section/archive. This archive is the parent of the 'vets practice' archive and I'd like to link them in the search. Possible?
This sounds like a separate issue I won't be able to answer with a sentence or two. May I kindly ask you to open a separate ticket for this question? This helps us keep the forum organized, and helps other users find answers to their own questions more efficiently.

Hey Christian
I've done that thanks, but I tried to create a seperate archive with a seperate view for the search in a side column, but what I get a scrambled mess.
It still shows post content top and bottom over Toolsets insert, so I think the Betheme is pulling in stuff that's not connected to Toolset.
Have you take a look at what I created? hidden link
Would you be able to login to my install of WordPress/Toolset and check what I've done is correct?
I'm pretty sure I've followed your documentation correctly.

To clarify, I'm not wanting more instruction.
I'm wanting someone to actually login to this site, and check either what i've done is wrong, and if it's not wrong, check to see if it's the template that doesn't work with Toolset.
If I am setting it up wrong, can you please set it up as it should so I can follow your example on the next archive page.
Possible?
I'm really fast running out of rope as I've spent about 4 days with this and gotten absolutely no where. I'm pretty sure I'm doing what's needed but it's just not working.

Private reply fields are enabled here so you can send login credentials.

Mate, you have my login credentials above already.

Hehe, maybe they're so secret even you can't see them 😉

I'm really sorry, I forgot that I had asked you already for the login credentials. I saw these things I would like to point out.

1. I noticed that you had a Page named "Resources", with the slug "resources", and a post type of "Resources" with the slug "resource". WordPress automatically creates the /resource archive URL for the Resources post type, so the Page "Resources" shouldn't be necessary. I Trashed the Resources Page, and now your Archive is now displayed at /resource

2. Bootstrap is required for the Layout grid system. I selected "Toolset should load Bootstrap 3.0" in Toolset > Settings > General > Bootstrap loading. Your archive at /resource is now displayed in 2 columns as defined in the Layout.

3. The Layout applied to single Resources included a WordPress Archive cell. This cell is only for archives, not single post pages. So I replaced it with a grid of cells showing the Post Title and the Post Content. This content is now appearing on each Resource page. The BeTheme displays the large featured image and post title in a way that Layouts does not override. I'll keep digging for a way to clean up the design for these Resources pages, please stand by.

4. I noticed that there's a View that displays Resources on the /resource archive. Is the intention here to allow users to filter the archive? If so, let me know and I will set up the Archive to include filter controls instead of using a separate View.

Hello Cam,

I'm Mohammed, the Toolset support team leader.
I'd like to thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

I've read the thread and I see that you may need further help. I also see that there would be some misunderstanding.

And Christian is one of the best supporters in our team.I'm sure he is ab;e to help you.

If you still need help, please reopen the ticket and Christian will login to your website, check it a, and provide you the best solution and suggestions.

Thanks,
Mohammed

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.