Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Extend, enrich 3rd party form's submission data with Toolset Types custom data

This support ticket is created 4 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Vane 4 years, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

Hi,

is there a way in Toolset Forms to modify, enrich 3rd party forms data with Toolset Types data?
I mean either with Current or In Relationship Custom Post Types' (CPT) custom fields (CF) or related Custom Taxonomies data.

Let's say I want to pass data to a bbPress Create Topic form either directly ( say a related CPT's CF value like its Name ) or indirectly,
I mean I pass a dropdown with options and allow a user to select (or multiselect) from, for example I ask the user to select from my custom taxonomy options (like Woocommerce Categories, Product Tags or whatever).
This way a bbPress Topic would be enriched with some Toolset (or managed by Toolset) data.

The same idea can be applied in other cases.

If I'm not wrong, a missing feature of CRED is that we can create forms (for creating and editing WP content) from zero,
but we can not "import" and modify, tweak, extend, enrich existing 3rd party user and post type forms - while keep using their existing 3rd party functions.

The concept is the same for CPTs: we can create a custom single or archive template for them from zero, but can not "import" and extend, enrich its existing one - AFAIK.
( Like a bbPress Topic or a Woocommerce product details single template )

So am I wrong when I believe I can't modify existing 3rd party CPT templates and forms with Toolset?
If I can do it in special cases, pls. let us know.

I see there are topics about it for years, but I haven't found a solution.

Thank you.

Let's say there is a form that creates new bbPress topics. You want to prefill one of the input fields in that Form using some Toolset data from another post. There's really no integration between Types and bbPress to streamline this, but if bbPress for example will allow you to prefill that form field by passing a URL parameter like "?subject=something" to place "something" in the "subject" field of the Form, then you might be able to create a special link with those URL parameters predefined based on Toolset data. But as far as directly modifying a 3rd-party template, no that's not possible. You can add custom fields to any 3rd party public post type, but then if you want to display them you would need to be able to modify that 3rd party single post template. If you can modify that with PHP, then you can use Types field APIs to display those field values. We have information about those APIs available here: https://toolset.com/documentation/customizing-sites-using-php/functions/

You are correct in that Forms cannot import an existing 3rd-party form and extend it. You would have to recreate that form from scratch in the Forms builder.

Thank you,
I'm going to study Toolset's docs you referred me about:
Customizing Sites Using PHP

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.