Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Events Booking

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
How to combine Toolset and WooCommerce so that users can be charged to attend events?

Solution:
I think the best approach would be, instead of registering a new Events post type, to treat WC products themselves as Events. (You can change the permalinks to use /event/ instead of /product/, and you could also change the labels for the admin pages so that you would have "Add new Event" etc.; see here for an example: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/26712459/is-it-possible-to-change-the-products-to-be-termed-tours.)

You can add custom fields to events if you need to. Users on the front end can browse events and add them to their cart to buy them, and you can set up variations for with and without lunch, cheap lunch, fancy lunch etc.

Aside from using Toolset to customise the templates for single products (events) and the product archive (event archive) I think you can mostly handle this directly from within WooCommerce.

This support ticket is created 5 years, 4 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Aaron Zame 5 years, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

Hi

I'm currently building a membership site where members can sign up and pay online.
Part of the functionality required on this site is members are able to login and book and pay to attend an event.

Admin needs to be able to login to the back-end and add new events. An example of an event might be a mid-winter lunch. It might cost $10 for a member to attend the lunch and when booking an event the need to be able to select what lunch menu they want which could also have a cost involved.

I can create a custom post type called Events, where admin can login and add events, but if I want members to be able to pay to attend these events online, will admin need to set the event up as a virtual product in WooCommerce as well, and somehow link the product to the event?

Ideally I want admin just to add an event, rather than have to add virtual products into WooCommerce as well.

The way I see it working is the event will be listed on the website with the price to attend and the member will be able to select what lunch menu they want and click book now. The takes them through to the checkout where they choose their payment method and pay.

Would like to hear your thoughts it this is possible.

Cheers
Aaron

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

Hi Aaron

I don't think either of the Toolset WC integrations are applicable here (i.e. using a Form to charge someone to register or using a Form to charge someone to publish a post).

I think a better approach would be, instead of registering a new Events post type, to treat WC products themselves as Events. (You can change the permalinks to use /event/ instead of /product/, and you could also change the labels for the admin pages so that you would have "Add new Event" etc.; see here for an example: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/26712459/is-it-possible-to-change-the-products-to-be-termed-tours.)

You can add custom fields to events if you need to. Users on the front end can browse events and add them to their cart to buy them, and you can set up variations for with and without lunch, cheap lunch, fancy lunch etc.

Aside from using Toolset to customise the templates for single products (events) and the product archive (event archive) I think you can mostly handle this directly from within WooCommerce.

Does that make sense?

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.