Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Errors shown for empty required fields in parent posts

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: When editing a child post in wp-admin, I am shown inaccurate error messages warning that some fields in the parent post were not updated.

Solution: Update to the latest Types plugin to receive a fix for this issue.

This support ticket is created 5 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 15 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by julieP 5 years, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

Hi Christian

The official line may be that this 'behaviour' wasn't a 'bug' because it relates to a new method of data retrieval but we are essentially still talking about post relationships and that is not a new feature. IMHO if data output changes as a consequence of implementing an update, this will cause 'issues' and so the behaviour belongs on the 'known issues' list as a way of keeping us informed. It's just about good customer relations and ultimately means we're all being more efficient than if the information wasn't shared.

I've tested using types 3.0.1 and am pleased to confirm that custom field values from parent posts ARE now displaying even if the child post status isn't 'publish'.

I've noticed something else though:-

When a child post is updated via wp-admin, alerts/warnings appear as shown in the attached image. The fields referred to in the image are 'required' parent post custom fields. I noticed this in Types 3.0 but wanted to check again after upgrading to 3.0.1 . Please advise/let me know if you want me to raise a separate ticket.

Thanks

We should investigate this issue here in a separate ticket. I ran a quick test and I'm able to see these error messages in some cases but not others. I need to escalate this to 2nd tier for further investigation, because it seems inconsistent. There must be something related to the sequence in which the parent, child, and required field values are entered. Please stand by and I'll update you when I have more information to share.

wp-admin warning.JPG

the fields aren't empty; they're set to 'required' so they can't not have a value (or am I missing something here?).

For clarity, I've re-uploaded the image I provided in the post where I originally reported this issue.

A parent post's required field could be empty in a scenario where you create the parent post, then later add a new required field to the field group associated with the parent post type. Then the parent post could possibly have an empty required field when you edit or create the child post. There could be other scenarios involving custom code that manipulates custom field values directly, bypassing wp-admin and CRED / Forms where these requirements are enforced.

For me that's a little confusing because it's not the scenario I reported but I can see the issue has broader implications. thanks for explaining. I'll wait to here from you.

May I log in to your wp-admin area to make a clone of this site, or ask you to create a clone and provide a download link? I need to be able to replicate this for my 2nd tier support team to investigate in more detail. I will enable both types of private reply fields here so you can share either.

Hi Christian

I'm having a lot of problems with toolset generally at the moment and a more pressing issue has come to light over the weekend (will be raising another ticket). Can you keep this ticket open please and I'll provide the necessary clone once my live site is sorted.

In the meantime, as you've been able to replicate this issue, are you not able to provide 2nd tier support with a clone of <u>your</u> tests to get them started??

I've now prepared two dump files for you; one of the database and the other the site files. Can you re-enable the private field please so I can give you the links for downloading.

Thanks

Private reply fields enabled here.

Thank you, I will pass this information along to my 2nd tier support team for further investigation and update you here when I have some information to share.

Hi Christian

It's unusual to not hear anything for over a week; is any progress being made on this please?

Hi, I can see that this issue has been escalated to our developers, but they have not completed a fix yet. I will keep you posted here if a patch or fix release is made available.

Hi, I have an update. We are planning to include this fix in the next release of Types, which is coming up within a couple of days. I will let you know once it's available.

Thanks for keeping me updated - I've upgraded to Types 3.0.3 and am no longer seeing the alert messages.

Great, I think then we can close this ticket.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.