Skip Navigation

[Resolved] ERR_Connection_Reset error with conditional shortcodes

This support ticket is created 4 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Nigel 4 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

I am trying to: Use a custom function to count iterations and use a block of html for first three and a different block of html for the 4th/last iteration. With any more than 4-5 lines of html in-between the opening shortcode and closing shortcode, the front end displays white screen with ERR_Connection_Reset error.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: Site is under local development. I have created a duplicator package.

I expected to see: The page load.

Instead, I got: ERR_CONNECTION_RESET 200 (OK)

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This is in the output of a View?

Which View? Where is the View displayed?

Where is the custom function for counting iterations written?

Yes the front end output. The view is output on the homepage and the homepage gives the 200 error. The view is Above the fold main. The function is in functions.php of the child theme.

Nigel
Supporter

I can't reproduce the problem.

I installed the duplicator package locally, inspected the set-up, and then visited the front page, which displayed without error.

I then re-installed the site on a different environment where I could more closely match yours (where I have PHP 7.2 available), and again couldn't see the issue.

There is a problem with wpv-conditional shortcodes where the content is very long, but in the View on your front page while there is a reasonable sized block of HTML inside the shortcode, it doesn't look long enough to trigger that problem.

If you cannot replicate the problem then I would assume it could be some setting in my local environment that is causing the issue. I moved all the html into content templates and am currently using that as a workaround. I no longer need assistance, I was just posting this for anyone in the future who did not think of content templates right away.

Nigel
Supporter

Thanks for sharing that. Using templates to gather the content doesn't actually help with the known issue of the length of content inside the conditionals because the shortcodes are expanded, but I'm glad it's helping with your issue, even though we are not any closer to knowing what the underlying cause is.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.