Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Email notification types field no longer works

This support ticket is created 5 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Beda 5 years, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

Hello, I have a site that is a few years old. I have two notifications that trigger when a post type is published after admin approval from a CRED form.

- The user created the post type, with a status of pending.
- The admin publishes the post
- Two emails are triggered

In the email received, this used to work:
Hello [types field=’first-name’][/types],

Would render:
Hello Mike, (or whatever name was filled in)

Now I get:
Hello [types field=’first-name’][/types],

The Types shortcode is rendered.

Using the latest plugins.

Again, this started after the latest update, this has been running fine for years.

Thanks!

Please apply an ID to the ShortCode like this:
[wpv-post-title item="%%POST_ID%%"]

We are about to prepare a DOC that elaborates this.

When forms are sending notifications when the form is submitted usually the ShortCode like you use it will work.
For forms that defer notifications in some way (expiration, publish state, etc etc), the ID should be passed with the Forms Placeholders.

Can you try if that solves the issue you face as well?

Thanks for the reply. I am not clear how to implement what you suggested. I tried:

[types field='first-name' item="%%POST_ID%%"][/types]

and

[types field='first-name'][wpv-post-title item="%%POST_ID%%"][/types]

First one renders:

[types field=’first-name’ item=”24014″][/types]

Please advise.

Thanks!

This is unexpected, as I tested this not long ago and it works fine with, however, a colleague recently asked me exactly what you outline above (Minesh, maybe you already spoke to him)
I wasn't able to replicate that.

We will need a copy of this site I think if this still happens with all updated plugins and only Toolset.
Please confirm this first on a testing site.
https://toolset.com/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

I just tested this thoroughly yesterday again and have sent a report to the developers to confirm the behaviour, so we can then document this as well.

Here is what I have found in my tests:

In Notifications that are deferred (sent on post-expiration, or when the post status changes), Types and Views ShortCodes require an ID to be set, so to return the expected data in notifications, otherwise, they will not render any data at all.

Test Results:
1. On an "Add Post" form, notifications sent when the form is submitted will send expected results for ShortCodes (both Types and Views) without ID specification. Specifying the ID also will not break them.
Example: [wpv-post-title], [wpv-post-title item="%%POST_ID%%"]

2. When Notifications are deferred either by expire or post status change, then both Views and Types fields will not return any result if no ID is passed.
To fix this you need to pass an ID, populated with the placeholder of Forms, for example:
[wpv-post-title item="%%POST_ID%%"]

3. In a "Add User" Form, the Views "User ID" ShortCode will NOT deliver the new created user ID.
Form Placeholder and Types Fields ShortCodes instead do deliver data of the user created by the form, without specifying an ID.
This should be expected and can be solved by adding the User ID to the View's ShortCodes. But that is also not documented
Example:
[wpv-user field="ID" id="%%USER_USERID%%"].
Additionally, USER_USERID here is missing from the GUI, while other user data can be found.

I have tested above both with Views and Types Fields/ShortCodes.

Now, the first link provided (DropBox) is an RTF file.
THe second link throws an error:
"Es tut uns Leid, die von Ihnen gesuchte Seite konnte nicht gefunden werden."
(We are sorry, the website could not be found)
The third file was the backupbuddy.php script, but now it asks for the "Upload a Backup" (which I assume should be the second file sent by you).
Could you provide that file again?

That is the same file as I received earlier, which is the import buddy plugin, not the file to import.
It asks again for "Enter your ImportBuddy password below to begin."
Then, when entered, it will ask for either Upload a Backup or Restore from Stash / Stash Live.
As stated before, I cannot replicate this site without the data.

Am I missing something?
The files do not include a copy, as shared here:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/email-notification-types-field-no-longer-works/#post-1126809

Thanks!

The next reply is private but no fields are marked as required.

Hi, I will get back to you soon I have a family emergency to attend to. Please give me another week. Thank you.

Meanwhile, I have another report on this issue, where we are working on.

They found that it works when you update the post status from the quick edit button of the posts list.
But it doesn’t work when you update the post from the post edit screen.

That is NOT what I found since I did use the proper (in post edit) update button.
So, I do not believe that is the real issue but there is an issue, we confirmed it as it seems.
However, needs more debug and as soon we have the real steps we will fix this
I hope that by when you are back, I have better news.

This issue will be solved in the coming up Types Release.

I will update you here once it is out.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.