Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Editor role can't translate

This support ticket is created 7 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Beda 7 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author
Captura de pantalla 2016-06-19 a las 13.03.23.png

Hello,

I am trying to give translation permissions to a user who has an Editor role. I have WPML installed and just wanted to allow this editor user to manage and create translations.

I followed this instructions: https://wpml.org/2016/01/allow-certain-users-edit-specific-languages/
Although I believe they require to be updated because some functions are not anymore in the same place, I managed to complete the process.

After following those instructions, editor still can't add translations as you can see in the screenshot attached, just my admin user can. This editor user doesn't get any translation capabilities in pages, posts, neither custom post types.

Possible conflicts: previously User Role Editor plugin was installed, although we don't use it anymore and permissions were reset to default ones prior uninstalling, or this is what I believe at least. A permissions plugin that is still installed is Admin Menu Editor, although I tried to disable it and didn't resolve the issue.

Thanks,
Jose

This should work fine.

You can use Access plugin in any site running WPML, with or without Translation Management. If you are using Translation Management, you will be able to send content to translation and set-up a user who will work as ‘editor/proofreader’. If you don’t use Translation Management, you will be able to allow certain users to translate content to different languages.

I would need a few screenshots of your Access settings or Login details to the site so I can see it for myself there.

Thank you for your patience.

Before we can proceed here, please ensure a Fully Updated System.

It would be good that you first update your Toolset to it's latest version. Can you do this please?

Please could you also try to update this additional Software?:
- WordPress

❌ Be sure to backup your database first before you proceed! ❌
⌥ You can use a plugin for this if you like.
I often use the Duplicator plugin for this purpose.
See: http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

Then also provide a Editor Access, so I can see the issue, as for me now everything works fine and I can not see the issue.

I can not reproduce this locally.

1. Set Pages under Access Control
2. Set all permissions for Editors
3. Create a Language group
4. Set all permissions for this group for Editors

I can correctly create Translations as Editor

This must be due to some left over permission rules by the other plugin you used.

What you could try is to replicate the issue on a Localhost by repeating the steps with your specific Plugin.

If on a first attempt with ONLY Access and WPML everything works fine, and then enabling, using and disabling the other plugin generates the problem, it might be an incompatibility.

May I ask if there is already a lot of Translated content on your Site.
If not, if might be a faster approach to re-install the site from scratch and import your Posts (original language)

Hi Beda, even when there is not a lot of translated content, setting a new WordPress from zero with all the current setups and custom post types will take a lot of time.

As a workaround, I have added a new custom admin role with Access and then gave it limited access to menu items with Adminimize.

There is another quick alternative? I tried to assign a custom editor role, but it didn't work.

Your solution is about the fastest, but the problem is neither localized nor resolved.

As this is most probably a issue asd you mentioned by a older plugin managing roles, it would need reproductions, steps how to reach it and then a debug + fix process.

If you can provide us clear steps how to reproduce this problem, maybe we can help.

Even better would be if you where to ask the Developer of the 3rd Party Plugin if anything is known about left over roles permissions.

You can of course create Custom Roles at any level, as they are described here:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/managing-wordpress-admin-capabilities-access/

Can you let me know what "did not work"?

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.