Skip Navigation

[Resolved] editor doesn't have publish permission

This support ticket is created 4 years, 7 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 27 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Shane 4 years, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

Hello,

When I create a user as editor (or anything below admin) they don't have permission to publish - the button says "submit for review"

thanks.

Hi Shane,

Thank you for the quick response.
Yes. "Publish" is check marked for editor for the CPT in question.

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Scott,

Would you mind allowing me to have admin access to the site so that I can have a look at this for you ?

Thanks,
Shane

Shane
Supporter

Hi Scott,

Thank you for the credentials.

I was able to log in a verify that the Editor role does have the publish permissions.

However I would also need a user with an editor role to test this out.

I tried making a user with Editor role but it doesn't seem to be possible as it is only giving me the option to add existing users.

Could you provide and editor role for the site so that I can test it out ?

Thanks,
Shane

Shane
Supporter

Hi Scott,

So I tried replicating this issue and it works perfectly fine on my end when I install a fresh copy of a multi site.

Would it be possible to get super admin access to the site to install the duplicator pro plugin to get a copy of your multisite?

Also do you have any idea when did this issue started? Was it working before ?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,

I use wp engine and unfortunately they don't allow the duplicator plugin.
How else can figure this out?
Thanks!

All CPT's say "submit for review" for editor. But editor can publish regular posts and pages.
This is happening on 3 different sub-sites I've tested of mine.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Scott,

I would need a copy of the site in order to debug.

However could you let me know if this issue always occurred or if you remember when did it start happening.

Finally if you create a custom user role with Access does the issue still occur ?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,

Pretty sure it didn't happen before but not sure when it started. I was developing this site in 2018 but then stopped for a long time - but I'm quite sure it wasn't happening back then. I will try creating a custom role and let you know.
It's vitally important that this gets solved. Since wp engine doesn't allow duplicator plugin what can we do? I need to get this fixed.
I can give you super admin if that helps.
Thanks.

Also...Access doesn't seem to be working right - guests can see things they are not supposed to!
I'll send you an example if I can do it private.

what is going on?

update on publish button...It seems the post is being published it's just that the BUTTON says "submit for review"...because after clicking the "submit for review" button the status says "published" and looking at it as admin it doesn't say on the post "approve" anywhere (it doesn't say "pending review" when I'm logged in as admin)

another update.
If the CPT is NOT managed by Access (set to "Same read permission as posts" or "Use the default WordPress read permissions") the Publish button comes back for the editor role.

is there still an issue as described here?? from 2017
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/access-not-working-4/
(or maybe this describes something else)

however...if I set default wp posts to "manage by access" and set the permissions there as I want them, then set the CPT to "same permission as posts" then the Publish button comes back.....
Not a great solution 'cause what if I don't want the wp posts to be same permission as the CPT??

Shane
Supporter

Hi Scott,

Sorry for the delay in response.

However there has been an update to our Access plugin could you try updating and let me know if this helps.

Also the issue in this ticket should've been fixed long ago .
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/access-not-working-4/

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane

I have version 2.9.2 of Access. Strangely, in the downloads section it says the latest version is 2.8 ??
I'm thinking maybe just not using access and trying something like the plugin "user role editor" instead.
Do you think I should reset the settings in Access before deactivating and trying something else?
Access just doesn't seem to be working out...

Thanks.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.