Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Edit Field Group page is hanging

This support ticket is created 5 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Beda 5 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

I am trying to: edit the Post Field Group. A Custom Field has started appearing in all post types and I want to edit it so it appears in a specific page again. When I click on Edit the page just hangs:

Where to use this Field Group

Please Wait, Loading…

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

I expected to see:

Instead, I got:

This must be a JS conflict with another Plugin as I cannot replicate this.
Can you please test the following and provide the additional info, if any:

1. Since when does this happen (Update, changes, etc)
2. Is there a JS error in the Browser Console when you do the actions you describe?
3. If you disable all Plugins but Toolset, is the issue persisting?
4. If not, please mention which plugin causes the issue - or the theme, which also might be the source of this conflict.
5. Please also activate https://codex.wordpress.org/WP_DEBUG, so to see if there is an underlying PHP error.

I will then evaluate the information you send me back and provide either an immediate solution to the issue or, if required, create a BUG report for our Developers to solve or, if it's a compatibility problem, we'll try to contact the authors of and fix it with them.

Hi there,

I still need assistance please. To answer your questions:

1. A) I am unable to delete a Custom Field. When I try, I get the following in red letters:
Technical Error. Please contact our support.
B) I cannot edit a Post Field Group, the box just hangs after I press Edit and doesn’t give me an option to make changes

2. There is no JS error in the Browser Console

3. I manually disabled all the plugins one by one and the issue persisted. I then used the Health Check plugin which allowed me to disable all plugins on the site at once, and the issue still remains.

4. I am using the latest version of Generate Press and Types and Views. This error occurred after I switched themes from Woo Canvas to GeneratePress.

5. WP_Debug has been activated

I have noticed similar issues with one other plugin, a slider plugin called Soliloquy. I don’t know if there is conflict between the two plugins, or is something else is affecting them both. I have not contacted their Support yet as I want to rule out any issues with Toolset first.

Thank you so much for your help.

That error is thrown when the method that deletes an entire Field group is not finding the Group or the data required to delete the Group.
This should not be thrown when you try to delete a single field only.
This will also be the reason why you cannot edit that group (and hence, it's impossible to delete a single field in that group since you cannot even edit it)
I assume you try to delete an entire group rather than a single field?

==> This error occurred after I switched themes from Woo Canvas to GeneratePress.
And what happens if you switch to Theme Twenty Nineteen or back to Woo Canvas?

I am not sure what you mean by Similar Issue of Soliloquoy, as those do not provide Toolset Post Fields or Groups, I think it cannot be a similar problem (related to deleting Types Fields or Field Groups)

I think if changing the theme as suggested above doesn't improve the situation the best is, at this point, to send me a copy of the site.
https://toolset.com/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/
I can then analyse this and debug it.
Please mention the precise URL where you try to delete and fail with it so I can hook in right there.

Hi Beda,

Thanks for your response, but these are two separate instances.

I set up the custom field as a test, it's entitled AAA and I can't delete it - it's not in any group.

The group I can't edit has been working without issue and is still working on the site - I just can't edit it! At the moment it displays on all posts and I want to edit it so it displays in a specific place.

Yes, unfortunately the problem remained when I reverted back to both themes so perhaps this issue didn't occur after I changed themes, but I only noticed it then.

Our site is very big so hopefully Duplicator will work without any issue. What happens to the files after troubleshooting?

Custom Fields in Toolset are always in Groups.
Without first creating a Group, you cannot create Fields.
This is impossible to circumnavigate.

Anyway, related to the Duplicate, if it's a big site you might use All In One WP Migration or even just send me a Database (ZIP) Dump and the (ZIP) WordPress install files (FTP).
I can then patch the site together locally.

After the tests on my local install are done, the entire site is deleted by me.
This means everything (database and FTP files) are removed from my MAMP Server and cleaned from the trash.
This is an operation that I perform every day before closing my shift unless the site I work on is not yet resolved.
Then, it will be deleted the next day or as soon the problem is solved.

I perform this action not only for your safety but also for my own safety and to save space on my machine (keeping installs would translate to countless GB's of data cluttering the machine)

Hi Beda,
Sorry if I have used the wrong terminology. I clicked on Custom Fields in the menu > created a Post Field [Group] which I cannot delete nor edit. I've since found out I can't edit the location for any of the Custom Fields Groups even though I can edit the contents themselves.

I have WP De-bug enabled, and this appears at the top when I try to delete:
Trying to get property of non-object in /dom7210/wp-content/plugins/soliloquy/includes/admin/metaboxes.php on line 383

This is the Soliloquy plugin I was talking about! Unfortunately this still prevails even when the plugin is deactivated. Do I need to contact them first? Or should I send over a copy of the site to you?

1. Trying to get property of non-object in /soliloquy/includes/admin/metaboxes.php on line 383 is a problem of Soliloquoy and we do not produce or support that plugin.
You would need to contact their support to get this fixed, as it is likely not related to Toolset.
Question:
Did you eventually control one of their fields with Toolset Types?

2. Unfortunately, this still prevails even when the plugin is deactivated
This is, again, not possible, technically.
If the plugin is disabled, it cannot throw any error as the files won't be used at all.

3. Please do contact them, but also send me a copy, I do want to ensure everything is clear on our end.
You may wait with contacting Solilouquoy until I have safer statements, however, seen logically, this cannot be a Types BUG.
But since you mention also issues that (may not) be related to that plugin, I want to ensure technical correctness on our end.

The Duplicate should come with a short instruction as of how, where and when I can see the issue (direct links or menu paths are the best to quickly reach the problem's location.)

I've enabled the necessary private answer fields.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.