Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Edit content link in elementor not working

This support ticket is created 3 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 29 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by SteBlood 3 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

I've been reading over other pages which are similar;

https://toolset.com/forums/topic/toolset_edit_post_link-shortcode-not-working-inside-elementor-post-template/
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/edit-form-not-working-on-single-page-created-in-elementor/
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/edit-post-link-not-working/
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/edit-form-link-in-an-elementor-page-builder-page/

After reading all of these, I've created a Post Form, inserted the post form into a template and then created the edit link on the CRM page.

When hovering over the Edit link, it shows the following link - /customer-management/john-jones/?layout_id=3180

When clicking the link, the page just refreshed.

After some more reading, I read Beda had said that I would need to enter the post content block into my template.
Doing this removed the need for the link, but then removes the functionality of having the link that I wanted originally.

I want the form to be seperate to the page.

However, adding the post content block didn't solve my problem, it only showed the post content in editable fields.

Thank you in advance.

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Hayley,

Thank you for getting in touch.

Are you using out Layouts plugin to add the form to a template for the Edit link or are you using a Content template from views or Blocks.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,

Thank you for getting back to me.

This is the code I am trying to use. Going Via the layouts editor.

[toolset-edit-post-link layout_slug='edit-customer-layout' target='self']Edit %%POST_TITLE%%[/toolset-edit-post-link]

This code takes me into the admin panel, which is pointless for me as I want a front end interface

[wpv-post-edit-link]

If this helps.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Hayley,

I dont believe our Layouts plugin plays well with elementor.

I would suggest remaking this using our Content templates. The method is the exact same have a look at the link below and let me know if this helps.
https://toolset.com/documentation/getting-started-with-toolset/publish-content-from-the-front-end/forms-for-editing/

Thanks,
Shane

Do you mean remaking the template or the form?

I really do not want to remake the template.
Toolset is an amazing plugin, however it isn't too great for styling with next to 0 css/php knowledge.

As far as I can tell, you're telling me to make the template again, instead of elementor.... If this is the case... that's a big fat negative towards toolset... :((((((((((((

Shane
Supporter

Hi Hayley,

Before we go to suggest remaking any templates would you mind allowing me to have admin access to the site so that I can check on the issue first hand ?

The private fields will be enabled for your next response. You shouldn't need to re-create your template in Toolset.

Please also let me know an example page that I can look at.

Thanks,
Shane

Shane
Supporter

Hi Hayley,

It seems that I need to do a further investigation on this issue given that when I try the content template method it still doesn't work.

Would you mind if I grabbed a copy of the site to test out here?

Thanks,
Shane

Please go ahead

Shane
Supporter

Hi Hayley,

I did some testing and found that this is actually a compatibility issue.

The problem is also replicable on a fresh install with Toolset and the elementor Pro plugin. As a result of this I went ahead and escalated the issue to our 2nd tier support team for further checks on the issue.

Once I get a response I will let you know.

Thanks,
Shane

Shane
Supporter

Hi Hayley,

Thank you for the patience. I've gotten a response from our 2nd tier supporters.

Our Forms plugin require that your elementor page template has the post content cell added to it. If this section is not added then the form cannot be rendered on the page as our Forms plugin replaces the post loop itself with the form.

Please try adding the cell to your template and let me know if this resolves the issue.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,

Thank you for your continued support.

How do I add the cell to my template?

I inserted the cell into my page.

When clicking the link now, the form appears on the same page.

However, I have no control over what fields are shown.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Hayley,

This is in fact what is to happen.

Your form will appear on the same page. What happens is that our Forms plugin replaces the post content with the edit form itself.

Given that you have other content on the page that are not apart of the Post content then these will also show up.

However, I have no control over what fields are shown.
Are you referring to the additional information that is shown on the edit page ?

Please let me know.
Thanks,
Shane

No, the form isn't replaced by the form I make in CRED, it's simply the post content form hidden until I click the link.
Kind of pointless.

Could you confirm if this is also the case with Relationship forms too?

Meaning, I would want to add a child post to a parent from the front end and have the form recognise the post ID automatically.

I've been thinking of a way around this.
I've create dashboards for my different User Roles.
I've done this by simply creating a header which shows on the pages I want, assigned to the user roles that I want to see the header.(using elementor header and footer plugin)

Is there a way I could create a content template, which isn't assigned to a post type (to keep my elementor template intact) and attach my dashboard header to the content template page, allowing a user to edit the information within their dashboard instead of directly from the elementor page?

Or does a content template need to be assigned to a post type for it to work correctly?

Or maybe creating a duplicate content template, where a user can use the original links I provide to edit the content and still just show the elementor template on the front end...

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.