Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Third party buttons not working in Toolset Forms Media Uploader

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
I use plugins that add features to the Media Upload and edit screens of WordPress.
I expect those to appear and work as well on the Forms Media uploader when adding images in Toolset Forms

Solution:
It is not expected for any other feature but Toolset Forms and WordPress features (limited range) to appear in the Media Editor that forms use to upload media.

Third-party developers are welcome to contact us in order to integrate their features in the Forms front end, however by default, all third party hooks in the media uploader are disabled when used in a Toolset Form

This support ticket is created 4 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 14 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by katjaL 4 years, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

I'm creating a frontend extranet where user can upload file to custom post. Now I have Download Manager installed and it gives the possibility to protect files too. In backend media manager this goes smoothly with the protect file button, but in popup Media manager, which opens in Toolset form, the buttons are there and they even seem to react right, but they don't actually work.

I already purchased pro version of Download Manager so it isn't about non sufficient features.

Any idea why this might happen?

The Front End Media Uploader is not the exact same as the front end Uploader of Toolset Forms.
It uses the same features but restricted to certain limits.

Now, it seems the 3rd party Plugin you mention enqueues their actions and UI in all the media uploader instances, no matter where they are used.
This can be great but sometimes will need additional integration.

I assume this is one of those cases and either in Toolset or that plugin some integration needs to be done.

1. Does that plugin guarantee the functionality in all uploaders or only on the backend? If not, we can't do much.
2. Do you have contacts to the authors, and are they aware of this issue?
3. Do you have some contacts to the authors, best case, an email where we could reach out directly?

I would then also need a copy of that plugin (you can share it in your next reply, it is private, as a google drive folder for example).
If you could add steps about how I can replicate the issue once I have the plugin, so I can replicate the issue locally, debug it and try to find a solution, it would help me greatly.

We can then try to spot the issue, and fix it if there is a possibility to do so, in either plugin. We do have a compatibility team that also helps us with these tasks.

Did you know BTW that Toolset also has access controls (HTML Condititionals and Toolset Access)
Would those maybe help to avoid using third party plugins?
You can read more on those here
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/views/conditional-html-output-in-views/
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/access-control/

Hi Beda, thank you for this. I sent a message to the plugin provider and they are taking a look at it now. I will get back to this. Meanwhile about your question:
"Did you know BTW that Toolset also has access controls (HTML Condititionals and Toolset Access)
Would those maybe help to avoid using third party plugins?
You can read more on those here
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/views/conditional-html-output-in-views/
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/access-control/"

Yes, I love Toolset conditions and Access and am using them in this case too. I would have loved to keep it Toolset-only, but the point is I couldn't figure out a way to protect direct access to files that are uploaded in frontend Toolset form. If you have a suggestion/solution, I would love to hear it.

I've set my last reply as private so my email isn't sent out to all 🙂
You can find it in the green ara after clicking SHOW PRIVATE MESSAGE

Hi Beda

i would also be interested in knowing how to protect direct access to files that are uploaded using CRED. Could you share please?
Thank you!

Below my private post minus email, so others can see it too.
Nothing too outstanding, but maybe it helps

---

Direct access you can't avoid, but you can wrap the links to access the files in HTML or Access ShortCodes as those DOC links show I shared.

For example, you want to have only the author of a post (whom uploads) to have access to the download link?
You can add an HTML condition around that field checking on the current user ID and the post author ID and compare if they are identical - if not, it won't show the field

If this sort of control can help, I can also show you some examples if needed.

Hi Beda

Thank you; your response is what I was expecting so good to know I'm not missing anything!!

Hi Beda, I now went a bit further testing this. I found out, that this "button not working" issue applies also to another feature made with another plugin, "PDF Thumbnails Premium". This creates a thumbnail image of pdf file with one click.

So at the moment when uploading a file in backend Media manager, there are these two buttons/links that are created with a plugin:
- Protect from direct access (Download Manager plugin, hidden link, you recommend this in your documentation)
- Regenerate thumbnail (PDF Thumbnails Premium, hidden link)
And these features work fine in backend Media manager.

But these buttons/features don't work in Toolset form media picker/manager. The button/link are visible and I can click them, but nothing happens, no errors, nothing. I tried also with admin rights, no difference there.

Any idea how to allow these great features also in frontend?

OK, I will ask our Developers if, and if what a certain plugin can do to hook into the Media Uploader Toolset Forms offers.

I fear, this is a limitation of those plugins which probably are not intended to work on other but the backend instance (which is not the exact precise same as Toolset Forms uses for the front end).

This is also related to specific rights users have depending on where they interact in the WordPress site.

I'll let you know what we can do about this or how to approach the problem further as soon I have clarified this.

Meanwhile, can you provide me access to those plugins (a copy on Google Drive or similar will do) and precise steps to replicate the issue so I can also check this locally on my testing site?
I've activated a private reply so you can provide me with the required details.

Our 3rd tier confirmed there are issues and mentioned to escalate this to the Developers to see if we can do something.

I will update you here about this progress.
Unfortunately, for now, I can only offer the "toolset way" of using HTML conditions to hide those links altogether if the user hasn't adequate rights.

Thank you Beda. For this last sentence:
"Unfortunately, for now, I can only offer the "toolset way" of using HTML conditions to hide those links altogether if the user hasn't adequate rights."

To be absolutely clear, it doesn't matter what rights the user has, the buttons don't work anyway, even admins can't use them.

I meant the solution that allows hiding the download (or whatever) button to any user as per your condition - this uses HTML conditionals, as explained here:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/download-managers-protect-file-buttons-dont-work-in-toolset-form/#post-1477999

That solution does not need the 3rd party plugin but it needs editing of the templates where you display any access to those files. This is not a solution for the backend, only for the front end.

Yes, ok I understand.

This issue is been handled as follows:

1. The Toolset Forms media Upload mechanism is open to integrations from 3rd parties
2. We do however remove (if not else integrated) any controls provided by 3rd parties from the next release on.

This means you will not see the issue anymore but also not be able to use those 3rd party plugin features when adding media with the Forms media uploader.

If you require any 3rd party plugin to have their functionality in the front end, the 3rd party should either explicitly integrate and support it (which is not the case in these 2 plugins), or not hook into the front end (this is where we help for now, by trying to remove any such action in the front end.)

We are open to collaboration and can help with instructions if someone would want to integrate into the Forms front end uploader, but for now, this would require that 3rd party to pursue such plans actively and eventually enter in contact with us.
It would be an integration that needs to be made on the side of those plugins.

Thank you Beda. I made a feature request in Download Manager and attached a link to this thread. Let's hope they want to make the integration with Toolset Forms.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.