Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Do not show result until a keyword was entered

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I would like to show no results in a View until the User adds a search term.

Solution: Place the search form on a separate page.

This support ticket is created 5 years, 7 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by deanL 5 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

On this page: hidden link I created a simple view for custom post that has only title and body.

On page load, you can see there are currently three rows of data. But eventually there will be thousands of rows of data. So how can I make it so, by default the page does not show any data until a search was entered?

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Dean,

Thank you for contacting our support forum.

The only way this one is possible is if you add the initial search for to a different page. This way when the user types in a value and hits search, they are taken to the results page.

This results page also has a filter so they can search from there as well.

In order to do this when you are adding the view to a page. Please select to insert the search form only.

Thanks,
Shane

Thank you Shane, I know what you mean. Here's what I did: hidden link

May I ask a follow up question? How do I limit or break the results in multiple pages? This is to prevent someone entering "000" which will output items between "000001" and "000999" which will be a disaster!

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Dean,

Perhaps you can take a look at the pagination settings.

This way you're able to break the results into multiple pages if its over a certain amount.

Thanks,
Shane

CloudApp Annotation 2018-08-04 at 14.41.49.png.png

Problem is, for strange reason I can't use pagination option. See attached screenshot.

What have I missed?

Screen Shot 2018-08-06 at 1.37.50 PM.png

Hi, Shane is on public holiday so I am checking on his tickets. If you are not able to use the Pagination button above the Loop Editor, you must enable pagination in the Search and Pagination settings. See the attached screenshot. If you are not able to see the Search and Pagination settings panel in your View editor screen, scroll to the top right corner of the admin screen and click the "Screen Options" tab. You can activate the panel here.

Sorry I thought I have responded to the ticket. I managed to get it to work. Thanks for the help!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.