Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Divi Block issue on display its preview when I assign Content Template to Homepa

This support ticket is created 3 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Waqar 3 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

I am trying to:
Create Content Template for all pages and sections of my site, using Content Template, View, WP Block Editor, and Divi Block Module.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
The video of the issue comes: hidden link
The homepage of the site that now is very very slow: hidden link

I expected to see:
After the creation of the Homepage style using Content Template, View, WP Block Editor, and Divi Block Module, I have assigned the Homepage Content Template to the Homepage static page using the Content Template dropdown menu in it.
After this, I expected to see that all going fast and without any issues.

Instead, I got:
That all preview of Divi Block modules inside the Content Templates, don't display their relative contents inside the backend preview, but they display, on every single Divi Block module preview, the entire homepage... and the site's speed plummeted down to 20 seconds.

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi Francesco,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

As mentioned in our documentation, it is no longer recommended to mix Divi and Toolset elements on the same page:
https://toolset.com/documentation/recommended-themes/toolset-divi-integration/

With the passage of time and especially with the introduction of WordPress's new editor "Gutenberg" ( https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ ), Toolset and Divi both have grown a lot, but in separate directions.

The toolset has put its focus on the default "Gutenberg" blocks based editor, while Divi continues to expand its own front-end builder.

Unfortunately, they both can't be used together as closely as before, since eventually, it results in performance and compatibility issues.

If the layout/structure of your homepage (or any other page) depends on the Divi builder's elements, then it would be better to assign Divi's template, rather than Toolset's content template. You'll still be able to insert Toolset's data in a Divi's template through the shortcodes.

regards,
Waqar

Hi Waqar,
I have done a clone of the site in localhost, I have disabled the Divi Theme and all its function and module, using a WP native theme.
Well, the results of the site load timing and the saturation of the resources are not changed...
So, on the homepage, I have up to 950 queries, and, on other pages, I have a minimum of 500 queries... And the time to load the pages is not under 10 sec.
This month I have understood that Toolset cannot be used for more complex sites and projects, but it is useful only to integrate simple Pro features to simple sites.
Now, I'm searching for good alternatives for building my project.

Waqar
Supporter

Hi Francesco,

Thanks for the update.

We're constantly optimizing how our plugins query the database and load other resources, but I'm sure you'll agree that it would always vary with the amount and complexity of the content that needs to be displayed on each page.

For a solution that is designed to work out-of-the-box for a variety of users with different technical backgrounds and requirements, it is challenging to strike a perfect balance between the performance/optimization and the ease-fo-use, but we'll continue to work on it based on the feedback and suggestions that we receive.

The number of queries (950 & 500) does sound a lot even for a complex home page like the one on your website. If you'd like us to investigate this high number, you're welcome to share a clone/snapshot of your website.
( ref: https://toolset.com/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/ )

I've set your next reply as private and please let me know if you need any further assistance around this.

regards,
Waqar

Hi,
I have done a test on my localhost.
From the single item of the articles lists, I have deleted some custom fields to not display them, like the related town, the author name, etc... and I was able to go down until 520 queries. I could go down again displaying 3 posts per post category list instead of 4 posts. But it is not possible to go further down.

In another test site in localhost, I'm using Newspaper X theme. Using only the theme I have 210 queries and up to 4 seconds to load the pages. Enabling Toolset and Views, without using them, the queries go up to 350 and I have over 6 seconds to load the pages... Enabling Toolset and Views I have an incrementation of 140 queries and over 2 seconds to load the pages without display any custom field value or Views shortcode...

Then, Toolset needs more resources, and this is a big problem for the site's performance.

Waqar
Supporter

Hi Francesco,

Thank you for sharing your results.

On my test clean install and only Twenty Twenty theme, I see the home page's loading time to be 0.55s with 18 queries.
( screenshot: hidden link )

And when the Toolset Types and Views plugin was activated, the same page took 0.97s with 33 queries.
( screenshot: hidden link )

Note: I used the "Query Monitor" plugin for this:
https://wordpress.org/plugins/query-monitor/

Of course, on an actual production website and with introduction of different themes and plugins these results will vary.

But the point to remember here is that for a solution that is designed to work for a lot of different users and requirements, this much query and resource loading is expected and can't be fully avoided.

We understand and respect that for certain projects, performance and loading times can be even more critical than the others. For those, you can either include third-party cache and optimization plugins or alternatively opt for a fully custom developed solution.

I hope this makes sense and please let me know if you need any further assistance around this.

regards,
Waqar

Hi,
I was able to optimize the homepage and now I have 535. The homepage load now is between 4.2 sec and 9sec. And 2 seconds of the load depending on the Ajax code, and now I will work to optimized and deferred it.

Well, after the last Toolset Addons update (View, Access, etc...) the preview in the Content Template backend of the Divi Block (that I resolved before) now crashes as before and I see the homepage for every block previews, and this sending to saturation my server resources.

Please can anyone solve this issue?

Waqar
Supporter

Hi Francesco,

This leads back to the main point from where the discussion on this thread started, which is that Divi and Toolset elements shouldn't be mixed on the same page.
( ref: https://toolset.com/forums/topic/divi-block-issue-on-display-its-preview-when-i-assign-content-template-to-homepa/#post-1597417 )

Your workflow of using a Divi block inside a content template built using the Toolset is not supported/recommended and hence I'm afraid, we won't be able to report and fix it.

I recall you're using Toolset's content template for the homepage as you'd like to show the content in 3 columns.
( i.e. "sidebar - content - sidebar" layout )

Instead of using a Toolset content template for this purpose, have you tried using Divi's own template and add 3 columns using that?

regards,
Waqar

Hi Waqar
sorry, but I dislike your reply and the Toolset strategy applied to Divi Builder.
So, if I'm creating my own blanc theme to use WP Gutenberg Block Editor, Toolset with View and Content Template and use also the Divi Builder plugin (not theme) and others Gutenberg blocks plugins like as Advanced Gutenberg plugin, why all others plugins work fine with Content Template and the Divi Blocks no?
This is strange!

Waqar
Supporter

Hi Francesco,

I'm sorry if you didn't find my reply useful, but as explained earlier, the Toolset and Divi have been growing in different directions and the recommendation of not mixing Divi and Toolset elements on the same page, has emerged after very careful consideration.

I've discussed this ticket internally and I'm afraid, there are no plans to make Toolset Blocks work with Divi elements, in the upcoming releases.

However, you're welcome to share your feedback and concerns to our products team directly, through the form:
https://toolset.com/home/contact-us/suggest-a-new-feature-for-toolset/

regards,
Waqar

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.