Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Displaying/getting child posts from within a function

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
How to display child post with custom fields of given parent using PHP.

Solution:
To display child post from given parent using PHP we have complete documents in regards to this issue.

Please see the follwoing documentation:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/querying-and-displaying-child-posts/
[Section: "Displaying child posts using Types PHP functions"]

To get custom field value using PHP you should use get_post_meta() function. You can see the example of that on the following reply.
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/displayinggetting-child-posts-from-within-a-function/#post-390941

Relevant Documentation:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/querying-and-displaying-child-posts/

This support ticket is created 8 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by SteveWebStudioNW 8 years ago.

Assisted by: Minesh.

Author

I am trying to list custom fields from child post inside a function.

I have setup a custom post type called 'listings' and a child post type called 'items'

I have to use a function for a process and firstly i need to gather all the fields from all the child posts.

I'm firstly trying to display the post_title, (which is using the default wordpress 'post_title') which is not working (code below) it doesnt return anything.

Secondly I need to pull out my custom fields from the child posts 'description','feature1','feature2', but I cant get the page title and I don't know the precise way of requesting the custom fields.

You help would be greatly appreciated!

$pages = get_pages('child_of=8');

foreach($pages as $page)
	{

$html = $html. "-".$page->post_title;
	} 

return $html;

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

We have a document about how you will be able to query and display your child posts.

For example, to load ‘room’ child items::

$child_posts = types_child_posts("room");
foreach ($child_posts as $child_post) {
  echo $child_post->post_title;
  echo $child_post->fields['description'];
}

More info:

I hope this solution will help you to resolve your issue.

Thanks for the response, I'm trying this in a function (child theme functions.php) yet it doesn't seem to work?

Minesh
Supporter

Just wanted to be more precise, you have parent/child relationship created using types - correct? if yes, I would like to know where and how you would like to display posts with which custom fields?

*** Please make a FULL BACKUP of your database and website.***
I would also eventually need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to your site. Preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible in order to be of better help and check if some configurations might need to be changed.

I would additionally need your permission to de- and re-activate Plugins and the Theme, and to change configurations on the site. This is also a reason the backup is really important. If you agree to this, please use the form fields I have enabled below to provide temporary access details (wp-admin and FTP).

I have set the next reply to private which means only you and I have access to it.

maybe it's because I am not specifying a parent post id? how would you do this with this code?

$child_posts = types_child_posts("room");
}

Minesh
Supporter

I think you miss the document part.

This example returns all rooms that belong to the current property and will sort them by the description field.

$childargs = array(
'post_type' => 'items',
'numberposts' => -1,
'meta_query' => array(array('key' => '_wpcf_belongs_property_id', 'value' => get_the_ID()))
);
$child_posts = get_posts($childargs);

So, here "_wpcf_belongs_property_id" is your parent. You should replace "propery" with your parent post slug. For example: _wpcf_belongs_listings_id

The parent post type is called 'ebay-listing' the child posts i need to display is called 'ebay-item'

I dont have a 'current property' as such in my code I need to specify a specific 'ebay-listing' post id, in this case post id=8, and display all the child posts of this.

This is my code now (sorry my php experience is patchy at best)

$childargs = array(
'post_type' => 'ebay-item',
'numberposts' => -1,
'meta_query' => array(array('key' => '_wpcf_belongs_property_id', '8' => get_the_ID()))
);
$child_posts = get_posts($childargs);

}

Minesh
Supporter

To guide you in right direction I would like to check your setup.

*** Please make a FULL BACKUP of your database and website.***
I would also eventually need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to your site. Preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible in order to be of better help and check if some configurations might need to be changed.

I would additionally need your permission to de- and re-activate Plugins and the Theme, and to change configurations on the site. This is also a reason the backup is really important. If you agree to this, please use the form fields I have enabled below to provide temporary access details (wp-admin and FTP).

I have set the next reply to private which means only you and I have access to it.

Minesh
Supporter

Unfortunately, wp-admin access details are not working for me.

Could you please resend it to me. Also, could you please send me problem URL?

Problem url (my test file) hidden link

just reset user password and tested, now works, sorry!

Minesh
Supporter

Could you please check your template file. I've done necessary amendments.

You can get your custom fields values for example for feature1 as follows:

echo $feature1 = get_post_meta($child_post->ID,'wpcf-feature1',true);

Take example of above code and replace your custom field name to get values of other fields. For example:

echo $feature2 = get_post_meta($child_post->ID,'wpcf-feature2',true);

I hope this solution will help you to resolve your issue.

Many many thanks Minesh!

Your a superstar, just when I was about to throw my PC out the window:)

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.